Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magnus523
Channel Surfer

Roku express will not accept valid wifi password.

Brand new Roku Express. During setup, I found it will not accept the valid password for our home wifi. Checked carefully numerous times, restarted roku, restarted router, no joy at all.

I'm planning to return this, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has a solution. I've seen similar problems described on the internet, but no solutions that work for me. Thanks to anyone reading!

9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express will not accept valid wifi password.

Not exactly a solution, but have you tried a simpler password?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rohta
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@rohta  anyone who has to say they’ve been an IT for 25 years is not actually in IT. This thread is also years old. I own 10 Roku devices. My WiFi passwords include @ & $ and other symbols. Works just fine. I have no issues entering the symbols. 

0 Kudos
rohta
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
kaal
Reel Rookie

Ive used this less than a month and it will not accept my password. Can roku please respond? Also there is a site offering roku tech support and he took over my computer and I was scammed. Looks like Roku offers no solution unless you purchased an expensive device . Unless there is help this new device is trash and money thrown in garbage. NOT acceptable really.

0 Kudos
renojim

@kaal, there are plenty of scam sites out there offering tech support for everything.  It looks like you found one claiming to offer support for Roku.  That's not Roku's fault.

If you really want help here, give us more information.  What is the model number of your Roku displayed under Settings->System->About?  Who is your ISP (Internet service provider)?  What error messages/codes do you see when you try to connect to Wi-Fi?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Roy09
Reel Rookie

Have recently had Full Fibre installed. Plugged in the new password for Internet and Mobile-perfect.

On my Roku express I tried activate in my TV which had been perfect with my old copper wire set-up.

and although the Wireless ISP was accepted, the new password was not. Have tried several times and am sure I have put in the correct one Would appreciate any help

Info : 4K Roku Express, Model 3940EU, ISP Vodafone UK, Error No 040.14

Regards   Roy

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Roy09 

If you are sure you are using the correct SSID password (and not the modem/router admin password), try performing a Network Connection Reset on the Roku device. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

If that doesn't work, try changing the password to a simpler one (avoid any special characters in password as well for troubleshooting - just use letters and numbers.)  If still no-go, try removing password completely (create open network).  With an open network (no password necessary), should help narrow down if indeed a password issue or some other culprit.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Roy09
Reel Rookie

Many thanks for the prompt reply. My son solved the problem which was to enter the Password without any gaps. Other members with the same problem might try this solution.       Regards   Roy