Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku express using data when comcast WiFi on pause

Hi. My Roku Express is using upwards of 90% data, in a room where we don’t watch tv much. I ‘paused’ the WiFi to the device using my comcast app, and it is STILL using tons of data. What is going on?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku express using data when comcast WiFi on pause

If you turn the TV off while still streaming the streaming will continue and therefore keep using data.  Get in the habit of returning to the Home Screen before you turn off the TV.  You should also enable "Bandwidth saver" under the Network settings.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I searched for Xfinity pause still using data and top search result was Xfi Pause feature is useless.

(Summary: basically, a bunch of Xfinity users saying they can pause devices and they continue accessing the internet.)

Also, I got search results for Xfinity warning customers that they have to exit out of things like Netflix on Xfinity's own boxes or they keep using data too.

Level 7

Thank you. That is pretty unbelievable. I just can’t believe this Roku express is using hundreds of GB of data a month for no reason. And this 4 hour bandwidth saver is a joke.

0 Kudos
Level 10

If you have been viewing in HD, and used to have a habit of just turning the TV off with the Roku still streaming, that could use about 3GB/hour (typical) * 4 hours (bandwidth saver) * ~30.5 (days in a month) = about 360GB/month. 

I would like to see a user-settable time on the bandwidth saver.  I think our Roku rarely goes even 30 minutes without the remote being used.  Until then, though, make a habit of pressing the home key,

There are some workaround/tricks that work for some people such as plugging the Roku into the USB port of the TV (if your TV provides enough power).  Most TVs shut down the USB power when they shut off which shuts of the Roku.  The downside is it takes a few additional seconds for the Roku to boot up when you turn the TV back on.

0 Kudos