Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdb63
Level 7

Roku express - supported wifi channels

New to Roku and have had some connection issues - took me a while but I've pinned the problem down to the WiFi channel used - anything over 11 results in the Roku not seeing the SSID and not being able to connect. Is this a hardware limitation or a software issue?

I've seen various posts on the form about new and/or intermittent connection issues - one explanation could be:

- new connection issue when all was working previously - new software problem causing connection failure when channel is greater than 11

- intermittent connection issue - WiFi channel selection set to automatic on the router. Sometimes the WiFi channel is less than or equal to 11 => OK, sometimes it's greater than 11 => KO

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Roku express - supported wifi channels

Where are you located?  In the U.S. we only have channels 1 to 11.

0 Kudos
tdb63
Level 7

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

There are so many variables that can affect wifi.,

Radar, Microwaves, power lines, Garage door openers....

2..4 ghz is  optimal at any channel.

If you have an old Router you can make a Bridge or just plug it in.

and use it instead.

Roku's really dont need a lot of Bandwidth.If you put a Merlin in a

Mini Cooper it will fall out the bottom.

You might get Lucky and find the sweet spot.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
tdb63
Level 7

The Roku and the router are 3 feet apart. On the router, I create a unique SSID and test with each channel from 1-14. On the Roku, for channels 1-11 I scan, connect - signal strength excellent. For channels 12-14 the Roku doesn't see the SSID.

I'd like to report this as a bug - any non-US users will get bitten by this if they are using WiFi channels 12-14, either explicitly or via auto channel selection.

I know I can work around this by manually setting the channel to 1-11 but it shouldn't be necessary and it's a horrible user experience to have to change a well configured network just to accommodate one piece of equipment.

0 Kudos
Techtomic
Level 7

I've hit this problem with a new Roku Express on a secondary TV, with a Vodafone wi-fi router. Even with Expert settings it doesn't have manual channel selection. My network seems to use 13 most of the time as other networks locally fill lower channels. I'm in the UK. Not prepared to power multiple routers, might have to switch to a StreamingStick Plus which works fine.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Interesting that one works on 13 and one doesn't.  I know they make EU versions of some devices (denoted by an EU suffix after the model number) and no one has known what the difference is.  Does the Stick+ have the EU and the Express doesn't?  Check the model numbers at Settings->System->About.

0 Kudos
tdb63
Level 7

My model is listed as 3930EU - Roku Express 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

So much for the theory that EU versions support channels above 11.  :-)

boogernose
Level 18

@Techtomic  You might have an older Router that you can just plug in an Ethernet

cable to the Vodafone.

Which you can adjust accordingly. In my area you can get a used one cheap.

Roku's dont need a lt of bandwidth and an older Router should be fine.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos