Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku express - supported wifi channels

New to Roku and have had some connection issues - took me a while but I've pinned the problem down to the WiFi channel used - anything over 11 results in the Roku not seeing the SSID and not being able to connect. Is this a hardware limitation or a software issue?

I've seen various posts on the form about new and/or intermittent connection issues - one explanation could be:

- new connection issue when all was working previously - new software problem causing connection failure when channel is greater than 11

- intermittent connection issue - WiFi channel selection set to automatic on the router. Sometimes the WiFi channel is less than or equal to 11 => OK, sometimes it's greater than 11 => KO

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku express - supported wifi channels

Where are you located?  In the U.S. we only have channels 1 to 11.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

There are so many variables that can affect wifi.,

Radar, Microwaves, power lines, Garage door openers....

2..4 ghz is  optimal at any channel.

If you have an old Router you can make a Bridge or just plug it in.

and use it instead.

Roku's really dont need a lot of Bandwidth.If you put a Merlin in a

Mini Cooper it will fall out the bottom.

You might get Lucky and find the sweet spot.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The Roku and the router are 3 feet apart. On the router, I create a unique SSID and test with each channel from 1-14. On the Roku, for channels 1-11 I scan, connect - signal strength excellent. For channels 12-14 the Roku doesn't see the SSID.

I'd like to report this as a bug - any non-US users will get bitten by this if they are using WiFi channels 12-14, either explicitly or via auto channel selection.

I know I can work around this by manually setting the channel to 1-11 but it shouldn't be necessary and it's a horrible user experience to have to change a well configured network just to accommodate one piece of equipment.

0 Kudos