Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prazy
Level 7

Roku express plus on Wifi without internet

Hi everyone, I’m new here and would like to get your suggestion on a set up. I’m planning to use Roku express plus on my mini van to cast local media without internet. The setup involves Mini WiFi router (yet to buy) which will act as a DLAN and my phone and Roku will be connected to the WiFi router but the router will not have internet. phone will be used to browse through local media stored on the router and cast it to Roku. Is this is a viable solution? Does Roku needs active internet connection all the time? After two green checks on the WiFi setup and Red Cross for internet, pressing home lets you to use Roku as a casting device without internet? Sorry if this question is already asked, I tried to search existing threads but could find something similar.

Thanks I’m advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku express plus on Wifi without internet

Well, for initial setup, Internet access is required. After that, there have been reports of the Roku working fine without Internet, and others reporting issues. I've never tried it myself personally, so can only offer what I've heard. The biggest issue might be getting the Roku connected to your WiFi in the van without Internet. When a Roku tests its connection, it is looking for an Internet response. Without that, it thinks the connection has failed any won't save the settings. You might need to have a temporary Internet connection on the router when you first connect the Roku. After that, it should be OK. Roku Media Player (the most common app for playing DLNA content) does not look for an Internet connection, so should work fine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Prazy
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Well, for initial setup, Internet access is required. After that, there have been reports of the Roku working fine without Internet, and others reporting issues. I've never tried it myself personally, so can only offer what I've heard. The biggest issue might be getting the Roku connected to your WiFi in the van without Internet. When a Roku tests its connection, it is looking for an Internet response. Without that, it thinks the connection has failed any won't save the settings. You might need to have a temporary Internet connection on the router when you first connect the Roku. After that, it should be OK. Roku Media Player (the most common app for playing DLNA content) does not look for an Internet connection, so should work fine. 

That makes sense, let me see if I can bring up Roku without internet and just wifi. I'll update this thread with the result.
0 Kudos
Prazy
Level 7

So here is my findings, only the initial setup needs internet, after that roku just needs an active wifi to cast DLNA files. Works pretty much as I expected it to. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos