Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirald66
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU EXPRESS+ 3910X/RW virtually no longer connects to XFINITY XFI WIRELESS GATEWAY ARRIS TG1682

The solution stopped working.  I am not amused.  Tired of doing Roku's job for them.

Shouldn't the DFS channels be locked out by Roku's firmware?  Why would it try?  Connections so far on 3910 have only been 2.4.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU EXPRESS+ 3910X/RW virtually no longer connects to XFINITY XFI WIRELESS GATEWAY ARRIS TG1682

@sirald66 

In your initial posting, you listed two Roku model number 3910 devices as problem devices, then mentioned a Roku model number 3941 later in the thread.

The Roku model 3910 (Roku Express+) is a single/mono band 2.4Ghz band device only. It will only see and operate on the 2.4Ghz band.  

The Roku model 3941 (Roku Express 4k+) is a dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band device.  It can see and operate on either your 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.  Only a router's 5Ghz band contains DFS channels (52-140).  A Roku device cannot "lock out" the use of a router's DFS channels.  The user must configure the router to not use these DFS channels by manually assigning the non-DFS channels range (36-48) or (149-161).

The Roku operates on the network as it is setup.  It cannot and does not make changes to the network.  All changes to a network is made at the network level (the router) in order to make wireless devices work on said network.

Your Roku Express+ (3910) will never connect to your 5Ghz network.  It is only capable of connecting to the 2.4Ghz band.  Only your Roku Express 4k+ (3941) has the ability to connect to either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.

If you need to configure your Arris TG1682 in order to get your Roku Express 4k+ (3941) to connect to the 5Ghz band, navigate to Gateway...Connections..Wifi...5Ghz [Edit], and manually assign a Wireless Channel to either 36-48, or 149-161.  I personally would select the high band numbers of 149-161.  I would further lower the Channel Width/Bandwidth to 20mhz for initial testing and then raise accordingly once I established reliable connection.  40mhz should be an appropriate width.

Hope the above clears it up for you.  If you are experiencing other issues, feel free to post back with more details.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

sirald66
Streaming Star

Gunnar, you inspire.  If it weren't for your contribution, I'd be done with this platform.

The (2) 3910 was paired with their Xfinity-Arris via 2.4 GHz b/g/n WPA2-PSK (AES), channel 1, bandwidth 20.  The 3941 (new to me) is paired with my Xfinity-Cisco 5 GHz a/n/ac, auto channel, bandwidth 80.

Yesterday, their 3910s could reachetheir Arris repeatedly with simple password (Xxxxxx####), today they can't.  But they will reach my Cisco just fine.  I dropped my passwords formats ########### and Xxxxxx####xx~

Notable is that UNIT-1 gets a lower signal local / remote router, UNIT-2 gets excellent signal local / remote.

I'm going to have them trade their Arris in for a Cisco if possible.  If no go, then purchase a 3941, even though it is the Express series that Ruku doesn't support [fire sticks?].  Then I'll suggest a smart roku TV for last chance, throw up my hands and go GoogleTV.

0 Kudos
sirald66
Streaming Star

Currently connected with XFINITY Arris XB6-A xFi Advanced Gateway Modem TG3482G.

Tech didn't recognize trend, but replaced with a higher router rather than another internal brand.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

If you are experiencing an issue with connecting to your Xfinity/Cox wireless network and are using an Arris router, can you please provide us with the following information:
Model
ESN
DID
Your router's Mac address (find it on a sticker directly on your Arris router)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos