Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: Roku express WiFi failure

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Smokindog" wrote:
I never claimed it was on IOS, in fact I said just the opposite.  I avoided Apple specifically because they seem against these types of apps.  Not knowing the devices Jimbocylcing has I wasn't making any assumptions and was awaiting his reply.

You "avoided Apple specifically" yet specifically mentioned Apple in an earlier post? Right.
"Smokindog" wrote:
... I'm sure Apple as something similar. ...

You stating that you thought Apple "(h)as something similar" which does not indicate you think Apple has the app or that Apple doesn't have the app, but indicates an uncertainty. I removed that uncertainty. You're welcome. If I can help you with anything else, don't you hesitate to ask now, okay?

WOW, you can be both condescending and wrong in one post.  I see you respond to most every post on this board.  Are you a ROKU employee?  If not, what is your role?   As an investor I'd like to know.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

"Jimbocycling" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've used WiFi analyser on android.

My WiFi is on channel 11. There is a very strong network (I think my next door neighbour) on 6, and three networks on 1. There are intermittently some other networks on 11 but not as strong as those on 1 or 6, which I think would imply 11 is the best place for me to be.

If overcrowding is the issue, why would it be effecting my express so severely, and not my other devices?

If you're using WiFi analyzer it can tell you the relative signal strength for each channel/network.  In public networks/spaces it's always possible that someone can be a hog and consume the bandwidth.  Can you share a snapshot of your spectrum.  I'm open to doing it by PM to avoid extra signal to noise ratio in the discussion.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Smokindog" wrote:
... Are you a ROKU employee?  If not, what is your role? ...

Roku employees have "Roku" in their username. Others are simply Roku users.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

"Jimbocycling" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've used WiFi analyser on android.

My WiFi is on channel 11. There is a very strong network (I think my next door neighbour) on 6, and three networks on 1. There are intermittently some other networks on 11 but not as strong as those on 1 or 6, which I think would imply 11 is the best place for me to be.

If overcrowding is the issue, why would it be effecting my express so severely, and not my other devices?

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that WiFi direct historically wasn't causing issues on the ROKUs, ...  Here's one of the more recent threads in the many that a google search turned up.  I had a similar issue when Vizio poorly implemented WiFi Direct remotes a few years ago and mitigated it by setting up a separate network just for the Vizios similar to what someone did in this thread.  That solution is a little less useful when you need bandwidth for the streaming ... BUT maybe we can get some attention.  Looks like this isn't a new issue but it also doesn't mean WiFi direct is THIS culprit.  Need actual ROKU folks to help in this one IMO.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=107396

Again, NOT saying WiFi Direct is the issue but we need information from ROKU devs to sort it out IMO.
What router do you use?  Again, open to PMs if you'd like.
0 Kudos
Jimbocycling
Level 7

Having changed to channel 9 things seem to have been OK for the last couple of days, fingers crossed. So thank you.

I would post some screenshots of WiFi analyser but I can't work out how! I have noticed that intermittently it shows another network 'direct roku' on the same channel as my router, with much stronger signal than the router. I don't totally understand all of this but I think it relates to what you've been taking about...

My router is the one from my service provider (sky). Model ER115, if that means anything...
0 Kudos