Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimbocycling
Level 7

Roku express WiFi failure

I have a roku express which had been working well since I bought it 3 months ago. However in the last few days the WiFi connection has suddenly become very unreliable. Sometimes the system dialogue shows not connected, other times it is connected but channels won't work at all or stream in very low resolution.

I am confident the issue is with the roku, not my WiFi setup, because when I switch back to my old roku streaming stick it works fine, and my phone and tablet can also stream the exact same content in the same location with no issue.

My first reaction was to contact roku for a warranty fix, but I cannot find any way to contact them! I did try tweeting them but no reply.

Very grateful if anyone can help, either with the WiFi issue or how to contact roku for warranty claims.
Many thanks
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku express WiFi failure

"Jimbocycling" wrote:
I have a roku express which had been working well since I bought it 3 months ago. However in the last few days the WiFi connection has suddenly become very unreliable. Sometimes the system dialogue shows not connected, other times it is connected but channels won't work at all or stream in very low resolution.

I am confident the issue is with the roku, not my WiFi setup, because when I switch back to my old roku streaming stick it works fine, and my phone and tablet can also stream the exact same content in the same location with no issue.

My first reaction was to contact roku for a warranty fix, but I cannot find any way to contact them! I did try tweeting them but no reply.

Very grateful if anyone can help, either with the WiFi issue or how to contact roku for warranty claims.
Many thanks

It actually could be your network as a contributing factor. Since the Express operates on the 2.4 GHz band only, and since so many other devices also operate on that band, there could be an overcrowding on the channel your network is using. Likely, it's channel 6, 11, or 1. Check on your Roku by going to Settings > Network > About and look at the Wireless Channel value.

Try changing your router to use another channel and see if that clears it up. Stick with one of these: 1, 6, 11.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

Let's be a bit more scientific here rather than just trial and error.

Download something like WiFi Analyzer on your PC and/or Android device.  I'm sure Apple as something similar.  This way you can see what's going on in different places in your environment.

There are many of these apps for free, I have no affiliation with WiFi analyzer other than I've used it with good results.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_US
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wifi- ... verviewtab
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Smokindog" wrote:

While what you recommended it good, the fact remains there are three options: 1, 6, and 11. It's not like there are a few dozen options to try.

One of the options is ruled out: the one currently in use, which any user can tell by going to the menu as suggested.

That means there are now just two options. Trial and error isn't really a problem when you have two options: A or B. Again, if it was A-Z, yes.

Just trying to keep things simple and easy.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Smokindog" wrote:

While what you recommended it good, the fact remains there are three options: 1, 6, and 11. It's not like there are a few dozen options to try.

One of the options is ruled out: the one currently in use, which any user can tell by going to the menu as suggested.

That means there are now just two options. Trial and error isn't really a problem when you have two options: A or B. Again, if it was A-Z, yes.

Just trying to keep things simple and easy.

No, there are more options.  It IS true that 1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping 20Mhz channels but you can use other channels to center your 20Mhz channel on and sometimes that is needed.  ALSO you can use the tool to see if someone has enabled a 40Mhz channel.

Besides, without data you don't even know that the WiFi is at the center of the problem.  Another guess.

I'd rather have data than randomly trying channels.  Data simplifies problems, guessing makes them more complicated.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Jimbocycling" wrote:

Many thanks

"Smokindog" wrote:
Download something like WiFi Analyzer on your PC and/or Android device.  I'm sure Apple as something similar.  This way you can see what's going on in different places in your environment.

There are many of these apps for free, I have no affiliation with WiFi analyzer other than I've used it with good results.

The Android app mentioned isn't available for iOS. WiPry may be useful if you're looking for such a tool. There are others, of course. Just look in the appropriate store.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Jimbocycling" wrote:

Many thanks

"Smokindog" wrote:
Download something like WiFi Analyzer on your PC and/or Android device.  I'm sure Apple as something similar.  This way you can see what's going on in different places in your environment.

The Android app mentioned isn't available for iOS. WiPry may be useful if you're looking for such a tool. There are others, of course. Just look in the appropriate store.

I never claimed it was on IOS, in fact I said just the opposite.  I avoided Apple specifically because they seem against these types of apps.  Not knowing the devices Jimbocylcing has I wasn't making any assumptions and was awaiting his reply.
0 Kudos
Jimbocycling
Level 7

Thanks for all the replies. I've used WiFi analyser on android.

My WiFi is on channel 11. There is a very strong network (I think my next door neighbour) on 6, and three networks on 1. There are intermittently some other networks on 11 but not as strong as those on 1 or 6, which I think would imply 11 is the best place for me to be.

If overcrowding is the issue, why would it be effecting my express so severely, and not my other devices?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Smokindog" wrote:
I never claimed it was on IOS, in fact I said just the opposite.  I avoided Apple specifically because they seem against these types of apps.  Not knowing the devices Jimbocylcing has I wasn't making any assumptions and was awaiting his reply.

You "avoided Apple specifically" yet specifically mentioned Apple in an earlier post? Right.
"Smokindog" wrote:
... I'm sure Apple as something similar. ...

You stating that you thought Apple "(h)as something similar" which does not indicate you think Apple has the app or that Apple doesn't have the app, but indicates an uncertainty. I removed that uncertainty. You're welcome. If I can help you with anything else, don't you hesitate to ask now, okay?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Jimbocycling" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've used WiFi analyser on android.

My WiFi is on channel 11. There is a very strong network (I think my next door neighbour) on 6, and three networks on 1. There are intermittently some other networks on 11 but not as strong as those on 1 or 6, which I think would imply 11 is the best place for me to be.

If overcrowding is the issue, why would it be effecting my express so severely, and not my other devices?

Channels can be crowded, but not busy. Likewise, a less crowded channel can be busier. More crowded is a good indicator, but not a guarantee.

Think of it like a couple of rooms, one full of people and the other with fewer people. The room with smaller number of people can have more conversations going on. Kinda like that.

The fact remains that it could indeed be the device. As mentioned before, I'd try one of the other channels to see if it improved. One location I have gets best performance using channel 6, though it's a crowded channel there. Another uses 11 because that one got better performance. You never really know what's gonna be best.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos