Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anton
Level 7

Roku express . Not connecting to 5ghz Jan 2021

Jump to solution

Roku express isn't connecting to 5ghz.

Why are Roku not updating the software to make it compatible or at least give us another device compatible with 5ghz free of charge.

This use to be the best device now it's the worst. 

You will lose a lot of revenue because of this little error of not doing an update. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express . Not connecting to 5ghz Jan 2021

Jump to solution

No version of the Express has ever supported 5 GHz. Even the current Premiere only has a single band radio. There's no way to add such capability via a software update. It needs an actual 5 GHz radio, and that's hardware. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Strega
Level 15

Jump to solution

You can compare models here:

https://www.roku.com/en-ca/products/compare

Models that say "dual band" include 5GHz.  Those that say "single band" are 2.4GHz only. 

For me, the 2.4GHz is not a problem at all, especially since the Express doesn't do 4K. I don't know the full history of the name "Roku Express" but at least in the last 2 generations, it has been their most basic device so it's not surprising that some people might prefer higher-end models.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No version of the Express has ever supported 5 GHz. Even the current Premiere only has a single band radio. There's no way to add such capability via a software update. It needs an actual 5 GHz radio, and that's hardware. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post