Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaH808

Roku dropped off wireless network and will not get back on

I am seeing a bunch of these posts already and they do not seem to be resolved. I have Roku Streaming Stick+ and it has worked fine for over a year. Yesterday it dropped off the network and will not connect again. I restarted router, restarted Roku, reset to factory settings and still not working. It does see my network and my neighbors, but will not hook up. And I did put the password in correctly. I checked the wifi and it works fine. Everything else in the house works except for this. WTH

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku dropped off wireless network and will not get back on

@LisaH808-

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.  It affects some Roku models -- I don't know if Streaming Stick+ is one of them.

Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n wifi protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mzook86

I don't have the stick but i have the express and have been having the same problems. I have i think the ultra one in my room and it still connects but i cant get the express to connect to my living room tv for the life of me for days now. Laptops tablets all the other rokus work except this one!!!! so frustrating

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The express is 2.4GHz only so you should check your router settings.  My parent's ISP silently slipped them a router update that turned off their 2.4GHz band entirely, but I was able to log into their router and turn it back on.

0 Kudos
mzook86

So if you're an idiot like me should i be calling the internet company?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Maybe.  (Assuming it's an ISP-supplied router.)  I would at least try to figure out what the issue is before calling them though.  I'm used to long hold times at ISPs and "blaming something else" as being built-in to their support scripts.  Maybe yours does better.

0 Kudos
Mariafuentes
Reel Rookie

My roku wount connect to my network I enter my password correctly connect and it won't let me back onto my network

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mariafuentes

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Who is your ISP (internet service provider)? 

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Timmcomp

I am having the same exact issues with my Roku it will not stay connected to the Internet it continuously tries to buffer it dropped Jenner net connection and I am a Spectrum user. So when I try to connect to the spectrum app through my Roku it will watch about 10 to 30 minutes of TV then it drops the Internet connection what can be done about this because I’m really really frustrated this is a recent issue that just started after over a year of using Roku

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Timmcomp

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos