Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
osa
Level 7

Roku doesn't see vehicle's hotspot

So I have a purchased plan in my vehicle through AT&T. My Amazon firestick can connect to the car's hotspot, but Roku doesn't see it (I spent a full day resetting, rebooting etc). It does see other networks in range and is able to connect to my phone's hotpost and home network.

Was anyone able to connect Roku to their car's hotspot? Was your service through AT&T?

19 REPLIES 19\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku doesn't see vehicle's hotspot

use your phones hotspot.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
juliozaga
Level 7

I have the exact same problem, I try with two different Roku and they do not see the the vehicle's hotspot. Please help ...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What's the model number of the Rokus from Settings->System->About?  Note that the cheaper Rokus only support 2.4GHz channels 1 through 11.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KR80
Level 7

I’m having the same issue and i have a 4K HD streaming plus stick.  Any idea on how to recognize the Mercedes me hotspot?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hello @KR80

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If by chance you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please also try connecting your Roku to a mobile hotspot and see if it will be able to detect it.

Keep us updated. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KR80
Level 7

Hi - 

Thanks for responding. 

I am not getting an error code or message.  The roku stick simply does not SEE/RECOGNIZE the hotspot in my Mercedes Sprinter RV.  That is my ultimate goal is to have it directly connected to my vehicle hotspot because I have a dedicated TV in the Sprinter/RV that has the Roku stick connected to it.  

The Roku stick connects successfully to my iphone hotspot with no issues, but this is only a temporary fix.  

Please help with a fix for this issue.  The vehicle hotspot is MercedesMe and the plan is through AT&T.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@KR80 

The model 3810 Streaming Stick+ (assuming that's your device) should connect to 2.4 GHz networks on channels 1-11 (best to use 1, 6, or 11), and to 5 GHz networks on channels below 50 or 149 and up. If you are outside that, then it won't find or connect.

I would expect it should connect. Do any other devices see and connect to the vehicle hotspot?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
KR80
Level 7

Yes, the model number is 3810R. 

Every other device has connected (with exception to an appleTV) to the vehicle hotspot.  I've connected phones, ipads, laptops, a samsung smart TV with built in WiFi capabilities etc). 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@KR80 

The fact that both Roku and Apple TV can't connect is odd. The fact that a smart TV will connect goes counter to that. This is odd.

Are there any settings regarding the band or channel the hotspot uses?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos