Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShaniB

Roku is not seeing the wireless network

My Roku device was working just fine until about a week ago. Suddenly it cannot see the network intermittently and when I can connect the signal strength is poor (non existent really).  Our home network is Gigaclear and is 300bps which all other devices in the home connect to with no issue whatsoever.  How do I resolve this?  I have restarted, rebooted, moved the device about (all the fixes that are advised) and nothing has helped. 

fredneck
Roku Guru

Re: Roku is not seeing the wireless network

I have seen this question come up from time to time. Others have offered tips like resetting your Router and adding a new password. Clearing cache, on your Roku and rebooting both your Roku and the router may help clear things up.

When on WiFi, the distance away from your router can make a big difference in connectivity and streaming speed. For example, if a router is in another room the video may buffer like crazy but if you place it closer it may play fine.

This is one area where having an Ethernet connection is much nicer because it's hardwired directly from the router to the device. WiFi uses a radio signal which can easily be prone to interference from other devices like garage door openers, congested neighborhoods with other routers all competing for the same WiFi channels.

I remember reading something on this board a long time ago where someone had to place foil above their garage door opener because it was causing interference to their WiFi network and causing issues with their Roku player.

If you have more devices that use Ethernet, a simple network switch lets you add more ports, much like a multi-strip does for electrical outlets. An Ethernet switch has the added benefit of only running one wire from your router to your switch which can be located next to your entertainment center. Instead of needing to run separate Ethernet wires to each device.

Losing network connections can be frustrating. Hope this helps and you get it solved. 

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

I remember reading something on this board a long time ago where someone had to place foil above their garage door opener because it was causing interference to their WiFi network and causing issues with their Roku player.

I wouldn't be surprised, as my garage door produces audible static on at least one FM station in the car when closing it!

But regarding the issue people are currently experiencing, it seems like it may have to do with Roku breaking compatibility with some routers' 802.11b legacy support. Some people, like me, have been able to uncheck a setting related to this and it fixed the problem, but it makes me wonder if this setting is not exposed in all companies' router settings, even though the code they're based on is the same.

0 Kudos
Nichene

You guys at roku seem to show a lot of energy in trying to solve this problem that I am experiencing too, makes me feel like looking for something else

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Nichene

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? Please also provide us the model number of the affected Roku device. It can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About

Moreover, you can try the troubleshooting steps available in this Support article: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We'll be able to assist you once we have further details of your concern.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Denni
Reel Rookie

I have this same issue.  Losing connection over and over.  It only happens after 30 minutes and seems like the unit is overheating.  Didn’t happen the entire fall/winter but now that it’s pretty hot in here, it’s doing this again.  

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Denni 

Could be either your device or your network settings causing disconnection.  Since you think overheating or abnormal temps may be a culprit, there is a diagnostic menu you can access using your Roku remote to see the device's temp and other settings that may prove useful.

From the Roku home screen...

Press Home (5x), Fast Forward. Play/Pause, Rewind, Play/Pause, Fast Forward

At top of screen should give you a temp in celcius as well as a colored bar (green, amber, red, etc.).  See what temps are operating when connected, and then check this screen when disconnection occurs.  Can then at least rule this in or out in troubleshooting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
MikeandJoe

Re: Roku continues to lose connection

I set my new Roku up in my home office and it connected with no problem and the router is in my living room. I moved the Roku to my living room where the router is in a small entertainment center that the tv sits on directly below the Roku and now the thing won’t connect. I even factory restored it and still no connection. Yet my AppleTVs, iPhones, iPads, iMacs and Echo devices all have internet access with a healthy strong signal. I’m returning it. This isn’t worth the headache. Roku lost a customer. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku continues to lose connection

@MikeandJoe wrote:

I moved the Roku to my living room where the router is in a small entertainment center that the tv sits on directly below the Roku and now the thing won’t connect.

It is actually possible to be too near the router such that the signal is too strong and overpowers the Roku's wifi receiver.  

People living very near to a TV broadcast tower can have a similar problem with receiving the signal for that channel over the air.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jw95
Channel Surfer

I have been experiencing the same issues with my ROKU+, and am also noticing that the unit is very hot...my husband has had no issues with his connection..his is just a basic unit..