Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mwin

Roku continues to lose connections

Roku continually loses it connection with my network and the router is in the net room.. The network connection method is very weak as it pertains to connection to my network. I have 5 Roku devices and they constantly lose connections. very frustrating!

40 REPLIES 40
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku continues to lose connections

@Mwin 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What kind of Roku models do you have? What kind of router are you using and what frequency is your router broadcasting?

In addition, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps outlined in our Support pages here:
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WoodshopGirl
Channel Surfer

Yeah, I think its more than that.  We have 4 tv's - 3 have Roku units that are all about a year old; the 4th TV in our home gym has an old Amazon Firestick.  After the last software update on Roku, we are now regularly seeing error messages on all 3 tv's with Roku saying poor signal or no connection at all.  BUT at the same time, there's a full signal on cell phones & tablets. 

I've run speed checks with our Linksys app and download speed is right where it should be.  Also the gym tv with the old firestick is the only tv that stays connected to our internet when the other 3 Roku-tv's have nothing.  We've rebooted our router, modem, and Roku units...but we shouldn't have to do this 2-3x's a day!

I just got an email from Roku announcing their new unit.  I think Roku is pulling an "Apple" - pushing out a Trojan Horse software update that causes these problems so consumers will just think it's time to upgrade to the new unit.  Remember Apple got busted for this, too....

edegty26

I am having the same issue recently as well. Would love to hear the solution. 

stevestrac

Hello,

I have a Roku 3 that I have been using every day for the past 6 years or so.  Only starting yesterday, I am watching Netflix on my Roku and every 2-3 minutes Netlfix shuts down and reverts back to regular cable TV.  I then have to reconnect to NEtflix to continue watching and this keeps repeating over and over.

I have 3rd generation Roku.

Connection to Verizon FiOS is via Ethernet Cable.

Router signal strength is good.  80 Mbps.

I have Rebooted both FiOS router and Roku device several times.

I have cleared the cache in my Roku device and I did a System Update.

Please help.  I am so frustrated that I suddenly cannot watch Netflix for more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks!

Steve

0 Kudos
Tazman281

I have been experiencing the same issues for quite some time with a Roku Ultra. I never experienced these issues with my Firesticks or Apple TV’s. Unfortunately, I was forced to switch to Roku by my cable provider. I don’t understand why Roku can’t seem to figure this out and fix it. Very frustrating!!

0 Kudos
Tim84rw

Same here,my connection even says its strong and will connect to the router but says there is no internet yet all of my other devices though the house work except my other roku that still has two bars but won't work.  I think Rokus in general have bad wifi receivers. Anyone with a solution?

angela9191

I'm having the same issue with my Ultra. Constantly losing connection, error messages saying my device is not connected to the internet. I have to restart my Roku multiple times and attempt to connect to the wireless connection 3-4 times before it finally reconnects.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Tim84rw wrote:

Same here,my connection even says its strong and will connect to the router but says there is no internet yet all of my other devices though the house work except my other roku that still has two bars but won't work.  I think Rokus in general have bad wifi receivers. Anyone with a solution?

If your ISP is Spectrum then get a new modem.  Lots of reports of problems with them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JDNC

Come on, Roku.  Can we get a solution?  We've been experiencing the same issue for 2 weeks now.  We stay connected for a couple days after going through the modem restart/system restart process.  This only happens on the first Roku device we bought right before the pandemic.  The 2 devices since the pandemic work fine....never lost connection.  Same models so I fear I will experience the same problem with the most recently installed devices in a matter of time.

Yep, I'm on Spectrum, but as I stated, the other 2 Roku devices stay connected.  Ironically, the device giving us a headache is the one closest to the modem/router.

Come on, Roku.  Can we get a solution?