Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaif2220

Roku connects to wifi but stays on choose your network page

I have tried EVERYTHING on this thing it's a roku express. I paused a show and when I went back to go watch it, it took me to home page and said no internet. I have tried every single suggestion on this website I've been at it for 2 hours I'm 100% certain it is the roku as the wifi is right next to it, working on every other device in my house, and the Xbox is still connecting. Just not the roku.

I have factory reset the roku. I have changed my wifi channel. I've tried connecting to my VPN. It checks both boxes that it connects I can even see the router flashing and then it just sits on the "choose your nextwork" page. No matter how many times you connect.

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku connects to wifi but stays on choose your network page

Hi @Kaif2220

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you made sure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4 GHz signal? Please be advised that Roku Express is a single band wireless device and is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

If so and the issue persists, reply here with the serial number of your player. It can be found in Settings > System > About.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ranbush
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku connects to wifi but stays on "choose your network" page

I bought a new modem, and now my Roku Streaming Stick 4K is stuck on the "choose your network" or Error 003 "Can't update" screens. The correct network name is on the list, I get two green check marks for connection, and then it can't update software and goes back to the "choose your network screen".

I tried other suggestions that I saw here, e.g. held buttons down on the remote, rebooted the TV, the modem, and the Stick, took batteries out of the remote, reset the stick, no change.

The router's dashboard shows it is broadcasting a 2.4 GHz signal, the Streaming Stick 4K is Model 3820X ans s/n #S08Y41C58#

Help!

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi @ranbush

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

For this specific error code, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@ranbush wrote:

The router's dashboard shows it is broadcasting a 2.4 GHz signal, the Streaming Stick 4K is Model 3820X ans s/n #S08Y41C58#

In the 2.4 GHz band, be sure your router is set:

To use a channel in the 1-11 range as are used in North America.  Channels 12-14, as are used in some other regions, are not supported.  If your router has an auto feature that could select channels 12-14, turn it off.

Some routers are set up to use g/n 2.4 GHz connection parameters.  Rokus need this to be set to b/g/n.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ranbush
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, Karla.

You wrote: "Support page here: What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software | Official Roku Support "

That link goes to a blank page in Safari v 13.1.2, but it worked in Firefox v112.0.1. Just FYI.

0 Kudos
ranbush
Channel Surfer

I looked at that Support page again (I also found it yesterday), but the suggested remedies are not working for me.

I reset the Streaming Stick again, but it didn't make a difference.

The only menu I see is the "choose network" process. I went through it again just now, and Roku sees my network, I get two green checks for network and internet, but I still get "Error 3" and then I can't get back to the Home menu, or Settings. The remote won't do anything except "choose network". 

How do I get out of the "choose network" loop, and get to the Home menu or Settings?

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @ranbush

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If your Roku device is stuck on the "Choose your network" screen and you are unable to exit the loop even after resetting the device, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Check your Wi-Fi signal strength: Make sure your Roku device is within range of your Wi-Fi network and the signal strength is strong enough for the device to connect. You can check the Wi-Fi signal strength on your Roku device by going to Settings > Network > About.
  • Restart your router: Try restarting your Wi-Fi router by unplugging it from the power source, waiting for about 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. This may help resolve any network connectivity issues.
  • Change your network security type: If your Wi-Fi network uses WPA2-PSK (AES) security type, try changing it to WPA-PSK (TKIP) security type or vice versa. This may help resolve any compatibility issues between your Roku device and your Wi-Fi network.
  • Factory reset your Roku device: If none of the above steps work, you can try performing a factory reset on your Roku device. To do this, press and hold the Reset button on the back of your Roku device for about 15 seconds, or until you see the Roku logo on your TV screen. Once the device has reset, you can set it up again and try connecting to your Wi-Fi network.

We hope it helps!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
ranbush
Channel Surfer

Lianna wrote: "You can check the Wi-Fi signal strength on your Roku device by going to Settings > Network > About."

No, I CAN'T get to Settings > Network > About.  I am stuck on the "choose network" menu and Error 3.

Lianna wrote: "Restart your router"

I have restarted the router three times. No change.

Lianna wrote: "Change your network security type: If your Wi-Fi network uses WPA2-PSK (AES) security"

I am using WPA2-PSK (AES). The modem-router does have WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] but it made no difference.

Lianna wrote:  "Once the device has reset, you can set it up again and try connecting to your Wi-Fi network. "

No, I CAN'T do that because the Roku returns to the "choose network" menu, finds my network, displays "are you in a dorm or hotel room?", then displays two green checkmarks, and then Error 3 again. I have reset the Roku 5-6 times. No change. For four days now.

My desktop computer, my laptop computer, Xfinity TV, Pandora, all other apps can connect to the Internet with the new Netgear C7000 modem-router. Only the Roku stopped working.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ranbush 

Are you able to connect your Roku device to a mobile hotspot in order to proceed through the update? (rather than selecting your network).

Generally, you should be able to press the Home button on your Roku Remote in order to exit the Network Screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos