Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pepsidude1
Level 7

Roku connection via Cat5 HDMI

I have cat5 cables that run my HDMI from my TV to my electronic equipment I. a closet. So cutting the cord from my satellite and now using Roku, I cant get the Roku to work on the TV. I figured by simply plugging into the current HDMI port it where my electronics are located should work. Shaking my head as to why it wouldn't. I cannot access my TV to plug it in directly. (Longer story as to why). Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dgrace
Level 11

Re: Roku connection via Cat5 HDMI

I find this very confusing. Maybe try again, listing devices and connections and intent. The cat5 hdmi had me shaking my head.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Pepsidude1
Level 7

I have tried multiple times with no luck,  Running the cat5 cables to HDMI connections was a piece of cake for the Dish network satellite connection. Unplug that hopper box, plug in Roku, and nothing.  It just seems odd that would not work exactly the same.

0 Kudos
1zodiac
Level 10

haven't had a dish in 20 years,but in roku the cat5 connection is just to connect to modem/router.

output has to be HDMI (or RCA on certain models).

maybe a HDMI to rj45/cat5 connector/extender.

0 Kudos
Pepsidude1
Level 7

yep that is what I have.  the Cat5 to an RJ45 / HDMI connector.  So again, it worked just fine with connecting the hopper from my closet across the room to my TV.  Plug in the Roku and I get a 'no signal' type message. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

OK, you're using an Ethernet/HDMI extender system. I got it now. What model Roku player are you using? If it's a 4K capable player, you need to insure your extender system supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Without that support, you won't get any video. Now if your destination port (AVR or display/projector) is only HDMI 1.4, you'll only get 1080 video, and again HDCP support has to be there, just at at lower version number. 

I'm not familiar with the Dish Hopper, so can't say what version of HDMI and HDCP it requires. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos