Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

Roku connected to WiFi, but the device can't be found on my network

I have an Express Roku that is connected to WiFi and works just fine. My son is currently watching Netflix on it. However, the device cannot be found on my home network. This means the Roku Remote App cannot find it, I cannot cast anything to it, and it does not appear in my wireless settings list of connected devices. 

I have tried to connect the remote app manually but it says the IP address is not found even though it's the exact IP address that's displayed on the settings menu on the Express. I have rebooted the router, rebooted the Roku and it still cannot be found. 

Any help is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku connected to WiFi, but the device can't be found on my network

When you are using the Roku mobile App, are you sure you are connected to the same wi-fi SSID as your Roku Express?  You can't use your mobile phone data connection, you have to connect your phone to the same wi-fi connection as the Roku device.

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/217288467

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar  Yes. My phone is on the same WiFi as the Express. We have another Roku (Ultra) on a separate TV that is also connected to the same network and the remote app works just fine as well as being able to cast to this device. The Express does not show up anywhere, though it connected to the same network as everything else. 

I have logged in to my wireless provider's website and it is not even listed as a device there. However, as stated, playback works fine and when checking the network settings on the Express itself it says it is connected to our WiFi. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Didn't mention if you had been able to use the App before with the Express.  

Not sure why you are not seeing in your list of connected devices in your router unless you have a categorized section for 2.4ghz connections (Express) and 5ghz connections (Ultra).  Should have a section that lists your devices Mac Addresses as well as their Lan IP addresses. [Each router admin GUI is a little different where these are located]

Wondering if the Express is actually running on the "guest" network.  What is the router model number and assume you are probably using single SSID (one network name and password for all connections)?

Otherwise, maybe try rebooting the phone or choose "forget this network" and see if establishing new connection will help.

Here is Roku's other standard help regarding the mobile app

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/115001480188

0 Kudos
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar I'll give it a try.

Yes, have previously been able to use the remote app with success until two days ago. The other roku (Ultra) also disconnected but a reboot of the router got it up again. 

We do have a guest network, however they are different names. See below photos. Yes, our wifi name is in reference to The Office. The Roku in the device list is the Ultra. Screenshot_20210325-165214.png

Screenshot_20210325-165452-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20210325-165227.png

IMG_20210325_171545.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092

Even on a non-guest network there could be a setting in the WiFi radio on the router that basically hides wireless devices from seeing each other. I might be called host isolation or some phrase that refers to privacy. This sounds like it's the case, especially if you can't even see the IP address. You might try pinging the Roku IP address from a computer on the same network and see if you get a response. I just tried pinging my Premiere and it responded, so if it's not being blocked by your router yours should respond as well. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JessicaLaneG 

Seeing that it is a Nest wifi system, may be a cloud syncing problem which is why the Express is actually working and streaming but just not showing up in the device list.  If it does not show up, I feel this is what is preventing the mobile app from connecting to it.  Since your Ultra actually shows up, the mobile app has no problem connecting to it.   Here is a link to an older thread from Nest troubleshooting.  There are some newer threads but they just reiterate the same and don't offer as many troubleshooting tips.  See if this may help you and post back as info develops.  https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/629453?hl=en

This probably also helps to explain why you can't directly connect via IP address because the app doesn't "see" the device on any network.

0 Kudos
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar we have at&t fiber. We just happen to have three Nest cameras.

@atc98092 I will try pinging. If it responds, how do I get it back in our network list so that I'm able to cast/use the remote app? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Ahhhh. that looked like the Nest GUI admin panel.  What is the ATT fiber router model number.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I'll be shocked if it responds to a ping. I'm almost certain there's a setting in your WiFi that is blocking it. Seeing that you have a mesh network, I've heard that they can have issues like this. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos