Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OzelnHaxy
Level 7

Roku causing network problems.

I have a Roku 2 connected to my network via Ethernet. When it is just the Roku everything is fine. Whenever I am playing games on my computer and someone starts streaming, the connection to the computer drops to almost nothing. I've tried both wired and wireless. Same problem. Speedtest averages ~25Mbps up and ~3Mbps down. I also have a Chromecast which doesn't seem to cause any trouble. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Roku causing network problems.

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

1)  You may have insufficient download speed due to:

A) The plan itself- you may need a higher speed tier (you didnt mention what ISP/speed tier you have)

B) Modem/router/gateway (mis)configuration or outdatedness - you may need to reconfigure or replace these devices.

2)  Try restarting/rebooting all devices and see if the issue immediately happens (test it by streaming on the Roku and gaming on the PC) - if it doesnt, that suggests a memory leak on your modem/router/gateway - they may need to have their firmware updated, or otherwise replace them.

0 Kudos