Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knabhan
Level 7

Roku cant connect to local network

Hiya,
I purchased a TCL 55' Roku TV for black friday and have been trying to set it up all day. My iPhone hotspot works perfectly with the tv, however, I get error 014.50 when I try to connect my CenturyLink all-in-one Callix modem/router. The modem/router is not far at all as I have a small apartment, and I have tried EVERYTHING and it is still not working. Disabling network pings doesn't work, I also manually updated the firmware to 8.0.0, and it's just beyond me at this point. Figured I'd post here for some help before I return the TV and just opt for another smart TV without Roku. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also, it does not work wired either. The error code is 013.50, when looking at the 3 steps it gets stuck after the first one. The second one says something like "connecting to local network" and it comes up with a red X after a while. Roku support didn't do anything for me, either did TCL support or my ISP (CenturyLink) and I'm beyond fed up with this thing.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Roku cant connect to local network

Hey disable the security in you're router (open wifi) or try to connect it with a android mobile hotspot
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Level 7

It sounds like it might be interference. If u can set the WiFi channel on the router to 1, 6 or 11. These are non-overlapping for 2.4 ghz
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Security wouldn't matter if it won't connect wired either. Do you have access to the internal settings of that modem/router? Most likely not since it belongs to your isp, but they do have model specific information online., so maybe you are allowed to alter settings. I'm thinking that it's being blocked by that.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
knabhan
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
Security wouldn't matter if it won't connect wired either. Do you have access to the internal settings of that modem/router? Most likely not since it belongs to your isp, but they do have model specific information online., so maybe you are allowed to alter settings. I'm thinking that it's being blocked by that.

I've tried the mobile hotspot -- it does work with my iPhone hotspot just fine. Which leads me to believe that is an issue with the router. I do have access to the internal settings if you mean what's located at 192.168.x.x or whatever. I have tried changing the channel numerous times -- that doesn't work either. 
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Maybe you can find the exact model of your modem/router and get some settings help from their website. I'd suggest looking at what were shown as default settings compared to what yours has, and also any logs showing devices connected. Your roku will have two MAC addresses, one wifi and one wired. Look to see if it has ever attempted connecting. If possible, see if you can manually put its MAC into the router as an allowed device. 
When you get the router model let us know and we can poke around in the manual too.
FZ
0 Kudos
knabhan
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
Maybe you can find the exact model of your modem/router and get some settings help from their website. I'd suggest looking at what were shown as default settings compared to what yours has, and also any logs showing devices connected. Your roku will have two MAC addresses, one wifi and one wired. Look to see if it has ever attempted connecting. If possible, see if you can manually put its MAC into the router as an allowed device. 
When you get the router model let us know and we can poke around in the manual too.

I've also tried manually adding it as an allowed device and it hasn't worked -- but maybe I did it wrong? Modem/router is a Callix C844G through CenturyLink if that helps at all. It's an all-in-one unit.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Something to try. It looks like folks have had issue with this before with the roku premier+ and it having a special character presented for dhcp.
Your router has blocking of special characters on by default. No idea what your roku presents but might be worth disabling this.
http://internethelp.centurylink.com/int ... tings.html
Scroll down to step 8 to see it in your router settings.
You can also reserve the IP here for your devices. Remember that your roku will have two different MAC addresses one wifi one wired so if you reserve by MAC make that entry.
FZ
0 Kudos

Something to try. It looks like folks have had issue with this before with the roku premier+ and it having a special character presented for dhcp. Your router has blocking of special characters on by default. No idea what your roku presents but might be worth disabling this.

I have been struggling to get my wired connections to work (TCL 6  series Roku TV). Following this step with the same Centurylink router described above did indeed fix my wired connection.
0 Kudos