Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku cannot find wifi with router in same room?

Jump to solution

I have a Roku express+. My wifi router and Roku are in the same room with nothing blocking it, but my Roku cannot find the wifi. Is there a way to fix this? I already reset both and even contacted the internet provider for more help to no avail. We turned on a mobile hotspot and it picked it up with no issues. What's going on with my wifi? Our phones connect to the wifi with no issue.  And I don't know how to make sure my SSID is on. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku cannot find wifi with router in same room?

Jump to solution

Making the SSID visible is something controlled within the router configuration page. I can't say exactly where to find it, as every brand labels things differently. But it should be found under wireless or radio.

The next question is if you have only a 5 GHz radio enabled on your router. Assuming the router is dual band, it has radios on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. If for some reason your 2.4 GHz radio is disabled, your Roku will never see it, as the Express+ (all versions) only have a 2.4 GHz radio. 

If the 2.4 GHz radio is enabled, then I'd suggest trying a different channel. Most routers by default are set to Auto for the channel they use. While the Roku supports all 2.4 GHz channels, it's possible you might have a better connection using a different channel. Again, I can't say where that setting is in your router, but it will again be somewhere under wireless or radio.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Making the SSID visible is something controlled within the router configuration page. I can't say exactly where to find it, as every brand labels things differently. But it should be found under wireless or radio.

The next question is if you have only a 5 GHz radio enabled on your router. Assuming the router is dual band, it has radios on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. If for some reason your 2.4 GHz radio is disabled, your Roku will never see it, as the Express+ (all versions) only have a 2.4 GHz radio. 

If the 2.4 GHz radio is enabled, then I'd suggest trying a different channel. Most routers by default are set to Auto for the channel they use. While the Roku supports all 2.4 GHz channels, it's possible you might have a better connection using a different channel. Again, I can't say where that setting is in your router, but it will again be somewhere under wireless or radio.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Pretty sure you just fixed my problem cause not even out our phones can find the 2.4, only the 5g. thanks I will see about turning that on. I do have both as I was looking in the settings before posting here. 

0 Kudos