Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Littlered1914
Level 7

Roku can’t find the house wifi.

My roku was working fine last night. I wake up this morning to my roku not connecting to WiFi. I restarted my roku& router. Even factory reset. Still can’t find my WiFi. My parents roku is doing the same thing. HELP

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: Roku can’t find the house wifi.

Check the basics.

Roku Express and Premieres

2.4gz network Enabled and Broadcasting.  Protocols b/g/n(Mixed) at router.  Channel set to 1-11 at router.  Bandwidth 20mhz at router. (sometimes disabling b, or disabling legacy support may help here depending on router).

Roku Sticks, Ultra, Streambars

5gz network Enabled and Broadcasting. Protocols ac/n (mixed), Channel 36-48 or 149-165 (no other channels will work, I would try higher channels first 149-165, disable AUTO for troubleshooting), Bandwidth 20mhz (adjust upward as necessary for performance).

Also try leaving your device unplugged for a bit if all the settings above are confirmed and having issues.  Am actually starting to think regarding the Expresses there actually may be an internal radio or software issue/conflict responsible for the disconnects. 

Need to make sure your network and internet are working correctly first.  Changes may have occurred in either your router or modem by your ISP or automated settings without your knowledge. 

Also cannot eliminate possibility that router is outdated, failing, or is need of a firmware upgrade, or is in some way causing a conflict with your ISP (internet) causing the disconnect.  ISPs are upgrading their services, and users are relying on them to provide backwards compatibility to their devices, so this can also not be ruled out as a possibility.

Try the above, and post back with some details of your devices and steps you have taken in your troubleshooting and more specific help may be offered.  

0 Kudos
PJL9
Level 7

Same issue here. Roku was working fine and now won’t connect to WiFi. Reset and rebooted everything. All other devices in the house connect fine to WiFi. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Does your Roku still see other wireless networks, just not your own? When it was working fine and then suddenly not, the issue is usually that your router/access point has changed channels to one unsupported by Roku. For 2.4 GHz WiFi, that must be a channel between 1 and 11. If your router is using channel 12-14, it won't be visible and cannot connect to a Roku.

Almost all routers/access points are configured by default to set the channel automatically. That also means it can change the channel without you knowing it. The ideal thing is to manually set your wireless radio to channel 1, 6 or 11. Those are the only three channels that don't overlap with some other channel. Less chance for interference from another WiFi radio.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

@PJL9 

Kind of have to be more specific with your Roku model. Some Roku devices are only 2.4gz capable, others are 5gz capable (which means they can use both the 2.4 and 5 gz bands on the network).

A lot of different posting in this forum on possible causes and fixes.  Try the suggestions above and some searches in the search bar of this forum.  You need to address all the basics.  If a rebooting of the router didnt work, a System Restart of the device didn't work, a Factory Reset of the device didn't work, an Extended Unplugging of the device didn't work, then you need to look at Router Settings and ISP (Internet Provider) settings as the next step in troubleshooting.

A good starting point is to verify the operation/broadcasting of your 2.4gz band if you have a 2.4gz-only Roku device.  Everything else in the house could be using the 5gz band.  An Express or a Premiere will never see that 5gz connection because it is incapable of using it (the 2.4 antenna cannot receive the 5 signal).

0 Kudos
PJL9
Level 7

It is the premiere, so 2.4 ghz and the WiFi is set to ch 11

everything else in the house is connecting to the WiFi, even other 2.4 items like Sonos. 

it seem seem to connect with the router. What else do I try?

thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I'd try changing the channel to 6 or 1 and see if that makes any difference. Might be some interference on that channel.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos