Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmrodney7
Level 7

Re: Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

I'm having the same problem.  I've reset the Roku several times, unplugged it, restarted my router and nothing has worked.  Very frustrating and it's a shame you can get technical help from a live person.

0 Kudos
Rainbow75chic
Level 8

I think it's time for a class action l..........t against Roku... mine the same used it for an entire year now all of a sudden will not pick up my Wi-Fi but will pick up everybody else's! I went to YouTube and found all kinds of tricks and all kinds of this and that and I tried everything they said everything and nothing worked! I think Roku owes us our money back!!!! 

Melothrien
Level 7

Absolutely right it makes no sense and it’s ridiculous this has gone on this long with no explanation. I suspect it’s a bug in the update that they are fixing without explaining, but I’m out of patience. 

And people...please quit telling people to reset their router when they’ve already done so, if you’re not going to read the post, don’t respond! Assume I’ve Googled it all and it didn’t work. I’m here as a last resort....again. 

Maybe it’s time to check out the competition!

kathy2-t
Level 7

I ran one more test and lso checked for any update.  I turned off my 5GHz Wifi, and only left the 2.4Gig Wifi running.  The Roku Ultra LT saw the 2.4Gig Wifi just fine, while the Roku Express did not.  There is nothing wrong with the Wifi, its the Roku Express Firmware after the update that has a problem.

psaxton
Level 8

I've now tried changing my WiFi name, factory resetting my router and updating the firmware on my router with no success. This is definitely a Roku problem. I've considered buying a new router because it sees all the neighbors', but I suspect that the Roku will stop working with a new router in a short time.

Has anyone tried using a different router? if so, did you start having problems again?

0 Kudos
psaxton
Level 8

With absolutely no love for Roku staff, I have found another post here https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Can-not-wifi-connect-after-v9-4-upg... which was able to get all my Roku running again. I hate to do Roku's job for them but since this was posted last Tuesday and they haven't bothered reaching out to everyone reporting problems...

Specifically if you're running OpenWRT or LEDE on your router go to Wireless Network > Device Configuration > Advanced Settings and uncheck "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" then reboot your router. Next, re-setup your Roku wireless. If you have different router firmware, try to find a similar setting.

Good luck, and when buying your next smart TV device remember this experience. I sure will!

Melothrien
Level 7

Update: I got a chromecast. Roku you got work to do. It's not that chromecast doesn't have bugs, it does. The remote quit working and I have no idea how my husband fixed it, but it hasn't happened again. Otherwise, much more fun to use, and buffering on non-live programming is so much better. On wireless when I lose connection on Roku, the loss is almost immediate. Chromecast keeps going thru short losses.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Level 9

@kathy2-t wrote:

My Router:  Lynksys WRT1200AC running  on Openwrt (not the original Lynksys firmware).  It is seen just fine on our laptops, phones, checked the 2.4Gig with the laptop, it even works just fine with the Roku Express, until it updates.

I have the same router and am using OpenWRT.  

After trying all kinds of things, the fix was to uncheck the "allow legacy 802.11b rates" setting, then Save, and Save and Apply.

The setting is under:
Network->Wireless
Click the Edit button associated with the 2.4GHz radio
Go to Advanced Settings tab
uncheck "allow legacy 802.11b rates"
Save, then Save and Apply. Possibly reboot the router after this.

0 Kudos
Dodger
Level 7

SOLVED: I had the same problem but after reading some of the comments I decided to set my router channel back to "auto". Straight after that it saw my router, connected without any problem. Should work for everyone 👌

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Sorry @Dodger , bad advice.  Auto can change the channel at any time possibly to one not supported.  On 2.4GHz pick a channel from 1 to 11 (preferably 1, 6, or 11, but it's really not that important) and on 5GHz pick a non-DFS channel.

0 Kudos