Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ermocito
Level 7

Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

I purchased a Roku premiere about a year ago, and it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Then, it "lost" my router signal and has never recovered it. Each time I refresh it, it shows me about 15 networks of my neighbors, but not mine (which is stronger than all of those, due to proximity). 

I have power-cycled both the router and the Roku about 20 times each. No dice. Every single other device in my home is able to locate and use the router. 

Finally, a couple of days ago, I decided I had wasted enough time with it and just bought another Roku Premiere. I was setting it up, fresh out of the box, and guess what? I can see all of my neighbors' routers - just not the one a few feet away (and no, this Roku does not have an ethernet jack). 

Why, why, why would Roku be the only device which cannot see my router's signal? Why would the same problem recur when I bought a completely new Roku? Why would everything have worked for a whole year before this problem began?

Simply put, this makes zero sense given my considerable experience with wifi and routers over the past two decades. 

23 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

Have you tried restarting your router?  I don't understand why this works, but it has fixed your exact problem for me several times.  After the router comes back up, restart your Roku.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
sprung
Level 7

Try connecting the original Roku to your phone's hotspot.  See if it connects to that.  

Then turn off hotspot on phone and do another scan of WiFi networks.  It may detect yours this time.  

0 Kudos
Nikkimichelle
Level 7

I am having this same problem with my tv and my daughters Roku stick did you ever get it resolved! I have reset everything even the whole tv still wont see my network but shows me everyone’s on the block 

0 Kudos
psaxton
Level 8

I'm having this same problem with 2 Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  , one stopped seeing it a couple weeks ago, the other just today. The TV's the Roku are attached to can see my network. I have tried power cycling the router multiple times and even factory resetting the Roku.

I've connected the Roku to my cellphone hotspot and tried searching again with no luck.

My WiFi is on channel 6 and has no spaces or special characters in the name. Both Roku can see all my neighbor networks on channel 6. My phone shows a signal strength of -52dBm for my router, but the Roku sees a network with a strength of -78dBm just fine!

This needs to be resolved.

Scarnutt
Level 7

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I've tried turning my router off and on, moving the device closer to my router, keying it in as a private internet service, restarting my ROKU device, and even doing a factory reset.  All multiple times.  It can find all my neighbors' connections, and even the internet hot-spot a block away but not mine.  All my other devices are getting a strong signal.   . 

I've already cancelled my subscriptions.  Is there any reason NOT to throw the device away and bid ROKU permanent farewell?

0 Kudos
Rainbow75chic
Level 8

Same thing happened to me I was just on the verge of buying a new one when I found this article I'm hoping we can get some help here!!!

0 Kudos
Rainbow75chic
Level 8

I have done everything.

It used to work unplugging my Roku from my TV for a while then it would come back now it won't come back at all I've even reset it to factory and it still won't pick up my own Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
kathy2-t
Level 7

Adding to this thread, this happened to us as well to our Roku Express.  It has something to do with the update.  I tried everything recommended.  Reset, restarted, set up a hot-spot... which it sees along with neighbor's routers.  But it refuses to see our Router.  We finally said, lets get a new one.   So we we did and plugged it in.  It saw the router just fine.  Then it wanted to update.  At first it went into an update boot loop..   It would up date, fail, and come back.  We'd connect to our router again... did it 5 times.  I finally set up a hot-spot, and it updated off of that, and of course the reason it failed on our router was that after the update, it no longer saw our router.   We took it back, it didn't work.  This time we got a wired version, as we had an ethernet cable available near our TV.  It cost more, but it works, and has a few other nice features.  Amazingly after it updated, it still saw the wire... and continued to work, also, maybe more amazingly, it still sees our Router as a Wireless connection available as well.  The RoKu Express still doesn't.  Its not our router, its what their update did to the Roku Express.  

My Router:  Lynksys WRT1200AC running  on Openwrt (not the original Lynksys firmware).  It is seen just fine on our laptops, phones, checked the 2.4Gig with the laptop, it even works just fine with the Roku Express, until it updates.

We'd like to get our Express running again, as we have another TV we'd like to put it on, and there is no convenient ethernet cable near it.   At this point I'm just hoping there is another update that fixes it, and we'll be able to load it with a hot-spot, and then it'll work again.   No... I'm not leaving a hot-spot running on my computer permanently just to make the RoKu Express work again.

Taylor17
Level 7

the same thing had just happened to me but I changed my wife name and password as had to remove everyone on it when I went to connect to my wife it won’t show but I can connect to anyone else’s ! 

0 Kudos