Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

I purchased a Roku premiere about a year ago, and it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Then, it "lost" my router signal and has never recovered it. Each time I refresh it, it shows me about 15 networks of my neighbors, but not mine (which is stronger than all of those, due to proximity). 

I have power-cycled both the router and the Roku about 20 times each. No dice. Every single other device in my home is able to locate and use the router. 

Finally, a couple of days ago, I decided I had wasted enough time with it and just bought another Roku Premiere. I was setting it up, fresh out of the box, and guess what? I can see all of my neighbors' routers - just not the one a few feet away (and no, this Roku does not have an ethernet jack). 

Why, why, why would Roku be the only device which cannot see my router's signal? Why would the same problem recur when I bought a completely new Roku? Why would everything have worked for a whole year before this problem began?

Simply put, this makes zero sense given my considerable experience with wifi and routers over the past two decades. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

Have you tried restarting your router?  I don't understand why this works, but it has fixed your exact problem for me several times.  After the router comes back up, restart your Roku.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku can find every neighbor's internet, but not mine

Try connecting the original Roku to your phone's hotspot.  See if it connects to that.  

Then turn off hotspot on phone and do another scan of WiFi networks.  It may detect yours this time.  

0 Kudos