Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku and XFi Pod - Connection Issues

Interesting issue: I recently got XFi pods for my home (comcast device that daisy chains and is supposed to boost the distance of your wifi signal). 

My Roku device simply WILL NOT connect via the XFi pod. If I unplug the pod from the wall, it works fine. I have tried general troubleshooting through both Comcast and some how to videos online for the Roku. 

The easy work around is that I simply don't use the XFi Pod in the room where the Roku is but I simply can't find any reason why it won't connect. It is also the only device that seems to have this issue.

Any thoughts?

Tags (3)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku and XFi Pod - Connection Issues

i dont have a solution, but wanted to let you know you are not alone....i just got xfinity with xfipods and am having the same issue

Highlighted
Level 7

I did call Comcast and discuss this issue with them. They are opening a ticket but basically because the pods are functioning fine otherwise there’s nothing to suggest that they are defective. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi folks, 

I just got xfi pods and noticed the same problem you folks showed above.

I shelled out some not inconsiderable money to buy Xfinity’s WI-FI coverage extending solution: xFi pods.

They arrived today so I spent the time setting them up.

They work great! The coverage for our cellphones and my laptop has doubled in strength. It is much more stable

But now Just like you wrote the roku refuses to connect through them.
A connection test shows the WI-FI signal is strong but it can’t connect to the roku or Netflix, Amazon prime,  or Hulu servers.

I noticed that the pods have an Ethernet port. So I plugged in an old netgear router into one and stood it up.

initially the problem seemed to persist.  The roku connection test for both wireless and internet went through with flying colors. But Netflix and Hulu still couldn’t ‘see’ their servers.

But, As noted above, with the new, xFi pod (NXFP) the roku connection test was good on the wireless check. But failed on the internet check. And then went on to be unable to reach the servers for Netflix, amazon prime, or Hulu.

Then, with my old netgear router (ONR) stood up, the roku connection test was good on the wireless check AND GOOD on the internet check; but then went on to still be unable to reach the servers for Netflix, amazon prime, or Hulu.

This had me perplexed. So I decided to restart the roku in case it caches networking info in some way.

Sure enough. After a full power down and up:

when connected to the NXFP the roku connection test was still good on the wireless check. But still failed on the internet check; and was still unable to reach the servers for Netflix, amazon prime, or Hulu.

But now, when connected to the ONR the roku connection test was still good on the wireless check And still good on the internet check; AND THEN went on to be able to reach the servers for Netflix, amazon prime, and Hulu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@SaaPiPa @What is the proximity of your current setup to the Comcast/xfinity router point of origin (POI)? I’m willing to dig out an old router and try your solution, but I am in another building from the POI. There are 4 pods between the POI and my building; there are two pods in the same 500 sq ft space as my Roku. Everything else (cell phones, iPad, laptops) can find the internet just fine. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Did anyone ever solve this issue without having to use other hardware?  I'm dealing with the same thing.  Roku Express works when connected to the gateway across the house, but cannot connect to the internet when connected to an xFi pod in the next room.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

unfortunately, no.  the only workaround i have found so far is to unplug the xfi pod when i am watching tv.. a far from satisfactory solution, but neither xfinity or roku wants to take ownership of the problem