Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku and PFSense: Why do many channels not work even with separate LAN and no firewall fules?

So, I have found this to be absurd. I created a separate LAN for my IoT devices. I have tried with firewall on and off in pfsense (pfblockerng and snort). I have tried it going strait to WAN through the router. And I've tried a couple other things.

The following apps are the ones with issues that are mainly used:

Xfinity Beta
Hulu
Netflix
CW

Now, with this same network setup, getting Netflix works with my Vizio TVs (M50-C1 and P50-Cx). Also Pluto TV, among other apps. Vizio's Hulu is broken on the older M50s.

But, this shows that other devices do not have the issue that roku is with PFSense, and is the primary reason I'm considering moving to an android TV Box, possibly the Nvidia Shield Pro, moving forward.

The setup currently used is not being routed through a VPN nor is it bypassing a VPN setup for other devices (entirely different LAN).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku and PFSense: Why do many channels not work even with separate LAN and no firewall fules?

Just got pfsense and am having similar problems.  Things seem to work after stopping the snort service.

would like to continue running snort but need to know how to edit it to work properly.

0 Kudos