Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanG
Level 7

Roku WiFi Signal Strength

My Roku 3500 stick shows 4 bars on the WiFi signal strength meter, but on the network info page it says poor? If I update the connection it says good, but after several minutes shows poor again. Not experiencing any connection problems and it streams HD quality from Netflix at 5800 kps. Anyone else experience this issue?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgf
Level 7

Re: Roku WiFi Signal Strength

my roku 2/4210x does pretty much the same thing, 4 bars sometimes 5 but almost always shows poor. all streaming including hd is 100% flawless, rssi in the 50s, noise in the 90s and s/n is ~39 with 0 - low glitch per sec. I figured it's prolly due to some evaluation mistake they made in a recent fw.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

"IanG" wrote:
My Roku 3500 stick shows 4 bars on the WiFi signal strength meter, but on the network info page it says poor? If I update the connection it says good, but after several minutes shows poor again. Not experiencing any connection problems and it streams HD quality from Netflix at 5800 kps. Anyone else experience this issue?

I have the 3500 stick also. Just a note to say....the stick uses WIFI DIRECT which causes it to interfere with my laptop's wireless, which is why I rarely use the stick for the past couple of years. when I have both my computer and the stick connected to my wireless router, the computer says "Limited Connectivity" and I cannot use it as I need to.  Do you have any other devices on your connection?  If so, that could be why the signal strength changes. If you only have the stick connected to wireless, do you still see signal strength as poor,. If in spite of this you can use all your devices as you wish...you should be okay.  My old Roku box does not use WIFI DIRECT and all my wireless connections are perfect if I use the Roku box instead of the stick.
If you are okay with the stick signal as poor and can use all devices on your wireless network that may be all you can do. There are a lot of very knowledgeable members on this forum, as well as the moderators, and perhaps they have better suggestions.  When you say it says good on updating the connection then after several minutes goes back to poor....the answer may  be what else you have connected to your wifi signal besides the stick.  ....just some thoughts and information for you.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

Let me clarify. The network status says poor, but the signal graph says good. I believe it may be due to using the 'set up a new connection' feature which you need to do to display the graph. Updating the connection, or doing a re-start, seems to solve the issue until you activate the signal graphs display again. It would be nice if an actual graph was displayed rather then just good bad etc... with the network status like most WiFi clients these days. :roll:

Ian
0 Kudos
Gophysical
Level 7

I have a Roku Premier (purchased just over a year ago).  We have Telus Optik TV and the speed is 150+ mbps.  The speed test (upload and download) shows excellent results.  Telus have installed boosters around the house.  The one right next to the Roku is 5Ghz. Roku is connected wirelessly to this 5Ghz wireless network.  However, Plex keeps freezing; this only started happening though after Optik was installed (perhaps a coincidence...).  Roku gives error message to check network connection.  We don't really use other apps besides Plex on Roku.  Roku Wireless secret screen shows Channel: 36 RSSI is around - 76 dbm.  Overall signal strength is between 13 - 17.  I have played around with the radios and interference settings and reset all the chips and drivers. They don't really change much but the settings I have chosen are optimal at this point.  Note, I am NOT technical - just doing alot of reading.  Any help and advice would be welcome.  Telus have NO clue about Roku.
0 Kudos