Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alecspra
Level 7

Roku Ultra

I have a TCL Roku Tv without an ethernet port. I want to stream using ethernet instead of Wifi. If I buy Roku Ultra and connect it to my TV via HDMI and connect Roku Ultra to my router/modem via ethernet, will I be able to view TV via ethernet?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra

You don't view "TV" over the Internet, usually. Yes, there are streaming providers that offer TV stations, but I think you get what I mean. You get TV stations over the air with an antenna, or via a cable or satellite connection.

But I believe the question is: can you use a Roku player on a Roku TV? The answer is yes you can. You have to remember which remote is which, as you'll need the TV remote to watch OTA TV and use the Ultra remote to control the Ultra. But yes, I've used a Roku player on a Roku TV without issue in the past. And you are correct that if the TV doesn't have an Ethernet jack the Ultra is the only player that has one. Most of the larger TVs do have Ethernet, but it's a brand option. Remember that Roku doesn't manufacture the TVs, they only provide the operating system. It's up to the TV builder to decide what hardware to offer. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos