Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

Settings/Network/set up connection

and check wired.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Racer-X
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Add me to the list of people having this issue. For me, it's after a power outage. The Roku Ultra loses the wired connection and while I have gotten it back before by rebooting the Roku or the router, this time it just refuses to connect wired. All other devices, the TV, Switch, Blu-Ray player, etc. all connect fine. The Roku is just **bleep** and won't connect. I've tried all the suggestions on this thread and nothing works. Time to throw it out and get a Fire Stick.

UtWildCat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yep, only viable long term solution is to dump Roku and switch to Fire Stick. No real customer support from Roku. 

I’m glad I switched to Fire Stick, should have made the move long ago. I would have saved time and money. 

Jump to solution
  • Same problem here. Home is only 5 years old and is pre wired. I can connect my smart TVs via wired but not Roku, very frustrating. Not easy fix to “switch cables”
newtond29
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection / Now Connected with new Router

Jump to solution

We have reestablished ethernet connectivity to our Roku Ultra.  We upgraded our Netgear R7000 router to a Netgear RAX78 (wifi 6, tri-band). Now the Roku connects via ethernet as well as wi-fi.

BobArm
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection / Now Connected with new Router

Jump to solution

I've done the same upgrade from an old NETGEAR router to a Nighthawk RAEX500 router and it immediately resolved all my wired connectivity issues.  I used the wireless settings out of the box, so my wireless settings have a "-5G" extension for the name of the 5 GHz SSID.  This provided a similar resolution of the "iffy" wireless connectivity between my Roku units and the old NETGEAR router.  I suspect that anyone having the frustration of the wired connectivity defect in the Roku Ultra units can resolve this issue with the purchase of the RAX-series router.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BobArm 

It better work for the price of that router. Smiley Happy  I am content that my Ultra 4660 is still working on an old Netgear Nighthawk R7000. (wired and wifi).

Glad you found a fix for your issue.  Thanks for updating!

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tomgifford
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Spoiler
Bought ultra for new channels (and to get back lost ones) and for Ethernet. After a ridiculously long time saving up the money, got it, but no, doesn't work. No wifi here (don't ask). So back to what the ancient 2x (3100x?) can do, which is Netflix, prime, youtube, NBC sports. All off that same Ethernet connection the ultra can't do anything with...sigh. Tried different cables (haven't tried new one yet...
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tomgifford wrote:
Bought ultra for new channels (and to get back lost ones) and for Ethernet. After a ridiculously long time saving up the money, got it, but no, doesn't work. No wifi here (don't ask). So back to what the ancient 2x (3100x?) can do, which is Netflix, prime, youtube, NBC sports. All off that same Ethernet connection the ultra can't do anything with...sigh. Tried different cables (haven't tried new one yet...

My Roku Ultra works great using Ethernet. Are you using the same Ethernet connection that your Roku 2 XS (model 3100) uses? And, is it seating properly in the Ultra? Can you hear and feel it click?

If so, I'd suggest that the Ultra is bad, and that you return/replace it. If you bought it locally, you may be able to return it to the store much quicker than returning/replacement via Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tomgifford
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I was using the same Ethernet connection to the only modem Ethernet out, yes. Not even a router in between. And as far as I  tell the cord(s) that I tried seated correctly. Though am contemplating trying a new cat8 cable...I have not tried a brand new Ethernet cable. 

0 Kudos