Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joyce4

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

I tried rebooting and using a 8cat new cable with gold tips and still not getting wired connection.  I used 6cat new cable previously.  

0 Kudos
SAH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

none of that worked, and I have 2 with the same issue. It acts like a hardware problem.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Seems like the Rokus have a problem with some routers' gb ethernet switches.  Some have had success using 10/100 fast ethernet switch or bridging another 10/100 router.  If your router is 10/100/1000 or 100/1000, could be the problem.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
UtWildCat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

While I appreciate your response, the real problem lies with Roku and their devices. Support is practically nonexistent. The response to these posts is always done version of power cycle your device, power cycle your router and/or replace Ethernet cables. 

Sadly, they never address their hardware or attempt to rectify the problem despite dozens of posts complaining they tried the above 3 steps with no resolution.

I finally solved the problem after buying several Roku models and cables: I bought an Amazon Fire Stick—it works perfectly and has nearly everyone of the major  channels found on Roku. No Roku Channel; but who cares? Not me. I’m done with Roku. 

SAH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I will try a 10/100 and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@UtWildCat 

I hear you.  Unfortunately, not every device or feature always fits neatly into someone's network configuration be it surveillance cameras, streaming devices, VPNs, etc.  Sometimes you either have to upgrade or degrade your network, install custom firmware, or find the device and setup thats fits you.  Definitely nothing wrong with the Firestick.  I say use whichever device that doesn't give you a headache trying just to use it.

I think a lot of Roku thinking is to give the broadest audience it can access to a streaming platform with least amount of end-user and device resources needed.  This way the price can be kept reasonable and satisy most people's needs.  I do hope though that after this pandemic ends, focus of Roku will return back to addressing some of the quality control and device issues rather than adding new wallpapapers and theme sounds to software updates.  Cutting them a little break for now knowing they are headquarted in California,  but the Express is quickly becoming the Ford Pinto of the Roku lineup if this forum can be believed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
KSU-Wildcats
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

** ROKU SUPPORT -- PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CUSTOMERS BEFORE YOU LOSE THEM **

I, too, have a new Ultra purchased from Amazon and like so many others the network issue is frustrating and the copy paste support response is worthless.  If you're only going to sell a product with half the features start by lowering your price.  If you don't want to support your product, cut the price some more until it's about $20, about the price it's worth at this point.  If you want to ignore your customers then maybe it is high time we start ignoring you and we all start buying your competitor's product.

The cable thought is pretty much a cop out when I can plug the same Cat5e cable into an old BluRay player and can pull up the Netflix just fine or plug it into a new notebook and it pulls down full speed via Ookla SpeedTest.  So, it's not a cable, router or switch issue, it is a Roku issue, admit it.  I can see the green/yellow lights on the back of my Roku when the network cable is plugged in.  Start addressing issues with your products and quit shipping out inferior products.  

Clearly Roku has become too big for the customer and that means you're ripe to fail.  Remember, you're not too big to fail as a company, so says your customers--no customers, no reason for Roku to be around.  

ErnestNM
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You can read my wired connection experience on this and other threads.   But, even though I have not had a problem since I determined that it was either 1) an auto speed negotiation issue, or 2) Roku corrected it overnight while I slept, I decided to spend the extra money and buy the Apple TV 4k streamer for the other TV to see how it worked.
Now we have both and I can tell all of you people who have 2K and 4K TVs, the Apple streamer is very much superior to the Roku in speed, overall picture quality, establishing the wired connection, and maintaining the connection.   I must have spent 20 hours total dealing with this issue in the Roku suggestions, reading these and other boards, internet search time, and finally changing the router connection speed to 100M Full Duplex from Auto-negotiation.   That was $5.00/hour for my time and effort since the Roku cost $79.00 at that time.   However, if my time and effort was worth $15.00/hour, then I spent and additional $300 for the Roku!   And that doesn't even factor in the quality of life degradation due to the frustration we suffered.  What price do you put on that? 
So, regardless of the Roku price in the future, I will still buy the Apple TV 4k streamers going forward.   It's a no-brainer.

0 Kudos
Skooma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine would not connect to wired as well. 3 or 4 tries and then noticed there is an "update connection" off to the right. Select wired again from that menu, hit update and it connected right away. 

Now if I could just get the extremely dim screen on streaming content to fix itself. Brand new and the picture is absolute garbage. 

0 Kudos
KSU-Wildcats
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I checked my Roku software and I don't have that option on the LT Ultra.  After staring at the screen, I realized what the true underlying problem is, Roku does not provide a way to set wired network settings manually!  I have no idea what wired IP address it is attempting to set, the subnet or gateway.  Why are these settings not available in an advanced area?  I get that most people won't have any idea what these are and will simply go with DHCP but it'd be extremely helpful to set these on our own.  I'd bet this option would fix a plethora of connectivity options!