Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HittOD
Level 7

Roku Ultra with powerline adapters not working

I am helping my neighbor with his Roku Ultra.   He had a previous model Roku , and was having trouble getting a wireless signal strong enough to prevent buffering.  There are three wall between his modem/router, and the area of his Roku/TV.   I installed Netgear powerline adapters to make connection between the router and the area of the Roku/television in question.  There was good  enough speed using the adapters ( ~ 20 Mbps) at the area of the TV/old Roku, that we decided for him to purchase a Roku Ultra.  The Roku Ultra has an ethernet connection with which we were going to connect the powerline adapter.    Upon receiving the Roku Ultra, we checked the connection via powerline adapters using a computer and got 17Mbps.  When the Roku Ultra was connected, it would not recognize any ethernet connection.   Is this a known problem, that powerline adapters aren't compatible with the Roku Ultra for some reason?  Would running the connection from the remote adapter through a switch and then to the Roku Ultra possibly work by making the Ultra see the connection as a more "normal" type ethernet connection?  By the way, since the powerline adapter connection would not work, we temporarily ran a 50 foot ethernet cord straight from the router to the Roku Ultra (had to go around walls and down stairs, so can't be permanent) in order to do the initial setup of the new Ultra unit. This worked fine, but can't be a permanent cable running through the house.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
lukecircle
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra with powerline adapters not working

My older D-link powerline AV500 adapters lockup the ethernet on Roku Ultra.  Newer powerline AV2000 adapters don't lockup and provide about 32Mbits. Sucks to have to keep buying now stuff.

0 Kudos
HittOD
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.   Since my posting, I tried a set of ZyXel  PLA5206    AV2  1000 powerline adapters.   These are working well at this time.   Looks like I just needed some newer/faster technology.

0 Kudos
HittOD
Level 7

By the way, for anyone reading this thread.  The initial powerline adapters that didn't work were Netgear AV500, and the ones that did work were ZyXel   PLA5206 AV2   1000.

0 Kudos
chrisrobbins70
Level 7

I am using Netgear Powerline1200, updates 2 Roku Ultras to new firmware , 1 ultra lost wired connection from the powerline adapter. The other ROKU was a direct connect to the router and after a reboot of the roku the LAN worked. However the powerline still not connecting to the other roku...

0 Kudos
HittOD
Level 7

I'm no powerline adapter expert, but since I did have a response to this thread back in June 2020,  I received notice of your post.    I think the Netgear adapters have a factory reset, and so if you haven't tried this, it might be worth a try.  Here is a link to the manual for the Netgear Powerline 1200:    https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PL1200/202-11566-01powerline_1200_user_manual13Jan2015.p...

0 Kudos