Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgkahn
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

Same issue here. I have  unplug my riku ultra. It will not let me disable it as I have a voice remote. And the menu option doesn't exist

0 Kudos
ooSux
Binge Watcher

I used the options you are describing in the "Wireless Secret Screen" on my Roku 3 to disable all wireless activity a couple years back only to discover that with new updates to my Roku 3 they turned it back on.  Yo Roku, I bought Infrared remotes and wired ethernet connections so I could turn wireless off.  Why are you force turning it back on?

The way Roku deliberately squelches signal of other wireless devices is literally illegal per FCC standards.   I say this as someone who is a member of MENSA and has an FCC amateur radio license (aka "HAM operator").

I also have the condition that is a genuine medical condition that medical insurance will pay for in many countries that is referred to as Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Disorder or EHD for short.

In my opinion, if a Roku device has a wired ethernet connection or a usb connection that allows it to stream this way that Roku is illegally forcing harm on its customers by removing the ability to COMPLETELY turn off the wireless antenna.

[post edited]

0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

Exactly. I have a control system and remotes that run on wifi. At the least, they should make it an option to turn the feature off.

Lgkahn
Reel Rookie

Even worse with last updates the menu option to disable it is gone on all platforms even the stick

BenGinders
Reel Rookie

I am also facing the network interfaces with the 3 Roku Streaming Stick+ 

I had complained to TP-Link blaming this on their Deco M5 whole home APs but after they connected to my network remotely they could see the interference causing dropouts/signal loss was due to the Roku devices.

This proves Roku devices are in fact the cause of the issues all these customers are seeing.

Roku Streaming Stick (3800 series) 

Model Number: 3810EU

Software Version: 9.3.0:4172

BWO

Same Issue, but I can't use a infrared remote because the stick is mounted to the USB behind the TV

The direct wifi signal from the Roku follows the channel of the main wifi connection, and really hurts the performance of other devices nearby, and since that is the wifi for most of the house, it's a problem. My solution might be to have a power switch to the stick to turn it off, but that means can't watch Roku and surf the web with another device in the living room. 

Model: 3810X

SN: YH008J866613

Software: 9.3, build 4172-50  Updated last month.

0 Kudos
BenGinders
Reel Rookie

I have been in touch with the Roku support team over this and they say it's my router at fault and that I should change my router...

Once I advised I have already tried 4 different routers they were suddenly aware of the issue and working on a fix (at the beginning of the call they had not heard of the issue).

He also suggested changing the channel on my router at which point I advised this will not help as Roku follows the routers channel.

To be honest I am not holding my hopes up here as the support agent just wanted me off the call.

schexc
Streaming Star

It's like most other tech or customer support service. It's all about the level of support that you are talking to. 

Hopefully they will come out with a firmware that will allow the direct connect to be turned off.

ooSux
Binge Watcher

I've got 3 rokus in the house.  Given that I am electromagnetic sensitive all 3 of them have the power unplugged because there is currently no way to turn the antenna off with the current firmware.

Issuing an update that re-enables the ability to completely turn off the wifi functionality would be ideal.

It's very very very frustrating to deal with a company that simply does not care about this issue... and doesn't care that their wifi squelching behavior breaks and/or impedes other wifi functionality in the area.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I have 3 x Roku Ultras (4660RW) Software 9.3.0 build 4170-46 that have been susceptible to this issue for years. Fortunately the firmware still supports disabling the RF remote and broadcast of a wifi signal for the remote. I've effectively disabled it completely using the secret menu.

They all exhibit the same wifi spamming behavior that degraded the network across my house. I've verified they are doing exactly that using wifi scanning tools and tracing it back to the MAC address.

The Roku devices will re-enable the wifi under certain updates / reboots periodically, so you have to monitor for their wifi broadcast periodically and re-disable.

I got so frustrated at this point that I bought ethernet to wifi dongles for each one to trick the Roku ultra into always using ethernet. Since doing so, I've noticed that wifi hasn't been re-enabled for months. So although it fixed the wifi interference problem, it cost me 3 wifi dongles at about $20-$30 each.

[post edited] This problem has existed for years and is one Roku has either ignored completely or not acknowledged through their support teams to their management.