Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

I'd like to add that it's poor design to broadcast Wi-Fi direct OVER TOP of the closest Wi-Fi signal (which is how Roku has designed it). It's inherently bad design. I think that's the bigger issue that needs to be addressed by them. The Interference menu isn't of concern if it's designed and developed properly to begin with.
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

Hoping somebody from Roku cares to respond. And, even better, have the development implement the more reasonable solution. Wouldn't it make sense to broadcast Wi-Fi Direct over the weakest signal? It won't have to fight as much, cause interference, and use as much electricity to power the device and radio....

I hope that Roku can acknowledge their mistake and fix it. The silence in here speaks pretty volumes to their desire to address a concern.
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"basketbuild" wrote:
Hoping somebody from Roku cares to respond. And, even better, have the development implement the more reasonable solution. Wouldn't it make sense to broadcast Wi-Fi Direct over the weakest signal? It won't have to fight as much, cause interference, and use as much electricity to power the device and radio....

I hope that Roku can acknowledge their mistake and fix it. The silence in here speaks pretty volumes to their desire to address a concern.

User Smokindog who responded earlier has been helpful to others on the forum with WiFi issues. While Smokindog doesn’t frequent the forum a lot, a PM will generate an email and if available, you may be able to work out a solution to the issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"basketbuild" wrote:
I'd like to add that it's poor design to broadcast Wi-Fi direct OVER TOP of the closest Wi-Fi signal (which is how Roku has designed it). It's inherently bad design. I think that's the bigger issue that needs to be addressed by them. The Interference menu isn't of concern if it's designed and developed properly to begin with.

Why do you think that's the case?  My wired Roku 3 uses channel 165 for its remote and my 5GHz AP (located within a foot of the Roku) uses channel 36.  They couldn't be any farther apart.

If you're using a wireless connection, the Roku has to use the same channel for the remote because it only has one radio.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"renojim" wrote:
"basketbuild" wrote:
I'd like to add that it's poor design to broadcast Wi-Fi direct OVER TOP of the closest Wi-Fi signal (which is how Roku has designed it). It's inherently bad design. I think that's the bigger issue that needs to be addressed by them. The Interference menu isn't of concern if it's designed and developed properly to begin with.

Why do you think that's the case?  My wired Roku 3 uses channel 165 for its remote and my 5GHz AP (located within a foot of the Roku) uses channel 36.  They couldn't be any farther apart.

If you're using a wireless connection, the Roku has to use the same channel for the remote because it only has one radio.

-JT

Note that the Roku Ultra is different.
Careful, because you just described that they can be on different channels, then stated they need to be on the same channel.
To explicitly describe what I am experiencing, the Roku broadcasts the Wi-Fi for the remote over the same channel as the 5GHz Wi-Fi router. Yes, it's the same channel that it's wirelessly connected to the internet over. That's exactly the issue! The Wi-Fi Direct broadcast signal for the remote shouldn't be on the same channel as the Wi-Fi signal for the internet connection. Which is exactly what's happening. And, it's causing issues.
I'm not sure if you didn't read my first post, didn't care to read it, or you just didn't understand it. But, I explained it in the first post.
Note that I also stated my Roku 3 is just fine because it has the option to not broadcast the remote's Wi-Fi Direct signal on the same channel. The feature called Interference. Poor design to begin with. Then, they removed the option to allow users to resolve the problem on their own.
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

Basketbuild, you have a reasonable suggestion for the dual-band Roku players. Connect the player to the network with the 5GHz radio and use the 2.4 GHz radio for the remote. I don't know if the remotes are dual band, so the opposite might not be possible. And of course the single band Roku players can't use that option. It's too bad they didn't stick with Bluetooth for the remote like they used with the 2 XS, but it was probably a cost decision. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"atc98092" wrote:
Basketbuild, you have a reasonable suggestion for the dual-band Roku players. Connect the player to the network with the 5GHz radio and use the 2.4 GHz radio for the remote. I don't know if the remotes are dual band, so the opposite might not be possible. And of course the single band Roku players can't use that option. It's too bad they didn't stick with Bluetooth for the remote like they used with the 2 XS, but it was probably a cost decision. 

Or, they can continue to use 5GHz. Just don't use the same channel as the highest strength 5GHz (my Wi-Fi router!) in the area!
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"basketbuild" wrote:
Note that the Roku Ultra is different.
Careful, because you just described that they can be on different channels, then stated they need to be on the same channel.
To explicitly describe what I am experiencing, the Roku broadcasts the Wi-Fi for the remote over the same channel as the 5GHz Wi-Fi router. Yes, it's the same channel that it's wirelessly connected to the internet over. That's exactly the issue! The Wi-Fi Direct broadcast signal for the remote shouldn't be on the same channel as the Wi-Fi signal for the internet connection. Which is exactly what's happening. And, it's causing issues.
I'm not sure if you didn't read my first post, didn't care to read it, or you just didn't understand it. But, I explained it in the first post.
Note that I also stated my Roku 3 is just fine because it has the option to not broadcast the remote's Wi-Fi Direct signal on the same channel. The feature called Interference. Poor design to begin with. Then, they removed the option to allow users to resolve the problem on their own.

Be careful when you accuse someone of not being able to read.  I said my Roku 3 is wired, my WiFi AP uses channel 36, and my WiFi direct remote uses channel 165.  Clearly the Roku doesn't just pick the closest/strongest signal.  If you're using a wireless connection to your Roku Ultra, it has no choice but to use the same channel for the remote as for streaming.  There's nothing that can be done about this except to use a wired connection.

I sincerely doubt the Ultra is different than the Roku 3, but I have the previous model of Ultra around here somewhere and I could confirm, or I could just trust my suspicion.  Do you know for a fact that turning on Interference Mitigation puts the remote on a different channel?  I'm pretty sure you're wrong there.  I'm not saying that Interference Mitigation isn't helpful in some way; I'm just saying it doesn't do what you think it does.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"renojim" wrote:
"basketbuild" wrote:
Note that the Roku Ultra is different.
Careful, because you just described that they can be on different channels, then stated they need to be on the same channel.
To explicitly describe what I am experiencing, the Roku broadcasts the Wi-Fi for the remote over the same channel as the 5GHz Wi-Fi router. Yes, it's the same channel that it's wirelessly connected to the internet over. That's exactly the issue! The Wi-Fi Direct broadcast signal for the remote shouldn't be on the same channel as the Wi-Fi signal for the internet connection. Which is exactly what's happening. And, it's causing issues.
I'm not sure if you didn't read my first post, didn't care to read it, or you just didn't understand it. But, I explained it in the first post.
Note that I also stated my Roku 3 is just fine because it has the option to not broadcast the remote's Wi-Fi Direct signal on the same channel. The feature called Interference. Poor design to begin with. Then, they removed the option to allow users to resolve the problem on their own.

Be careful when you accuse someone of not being able to read.  I said my Roku 3 is wired, my WiFi AP uses channel 36, and my WiFi direct remote uses channel 165.  Clearly the Roku doesn't just pick the closest/strongest signal.  If you're using a wireless connection to your Roku Ultra, it has no choice but to use the same channel for the remote as for streaming.  There's nothing that can be done about this except to use a wired connection.

I sincerely doubt the Ultra is different than the Roku 3, but I have the previous model of Ultra around here somewhere and I could confirm, or I could just trust my suspicion.  Do you know for a fact that turning on Interference Mitigation puts the remote on a different channel?  I'm pretty sure you're wrong there.  I'm not saying that Interference Mitigation isn't helpful in some way; I'm just saying it doesn't do what you think it does.

-JT

Did you still not read my initial post? I have a Roku 3 as well! Official Roku tech support has already verified that the hidden feature was removed in the Roku Ultra. The Interference option does exactly what I think it does. Well, it does on Rokus that still have that option available... There is something that can be done about it! It was literally a feature before! In fact, if you took two seconds to find the menu on your Roku 3, you'd see that it used to exist for yourself!

Your experience with your Roku 3 isn't applicable for the same reasons I already stated in my first post. I'm not here to argue with you or anyone else. Please don't post in my thread unless you have something useful to contribute to resolving the problem with the Roku Ultra. Take your guesses and blame game elsewhere.
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

Nothing from the Roku guys? No hope in getting a solution to this?