Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schexc
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

After you installed the fabric, what was your measured signal drop from the ROKU?

Did it drop to -80db or more?

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I wish I could say that it was a predictable constant drop, but I've noticed many irregularities:

1) the roku device often broadcasts without an ssid and I need to correlate loosely all connected MAC addresses to track it

2) the wifi signal varies in strength. I've seen -64db, <-70db,... there's variance but home performance has been consistently good

3) The roku broadcast is sporadic, most of the time it's not detectable at all by wifi Analyzer (a good thing?)

Simple answer, when I wrapped it in 1 layer I wasn't happy with the strength of the roku broadcast...so I wrapped it in a second layer. Performance on my devices jumped significantly when testing with speed test.net (>10x bandwidth gain immediately). Never tried a 3rd layer but it would degrade the signal even further

0 Kudos
RMinNJ
Channel Surfer

Thanks...i'll probably order that wrap.     Im stumped what Roku was thinking in the design.. the signal broadcast from the Premiere+  is almost as great as my router signal..  I can imagine the Ultra must broadcast a signal that dwarfs one's router.    Is the signal just for the remote ?   So I can listen to and change channels from the other side of the house or in my driveway ?? 

i think my amazon stick does the exact same thing...signal is on same 5ghz channel as the stick and 5ghz ssid...  dwarfs the signal of router when by the amazon stick.  But I cant shield the stick as that is the signal it needs for its internet connection.      I dont understand why these manufacturers think this is ok.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

The roku broadcast is crazy strong, and it will up it's power to compete with nearby broadcast routers...its literally more successful as a jamming device than a simple networked remote controller! If you own logitech remotes their software is starting to only support Roku's wireless protocol for their universal remotes. I had to chat with logitech support to re-enable the legacy IR protocol in their software because I want no part of rokus terrible wifi remote interface.

My guess is the simplest answer is probably the correct one - 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios are dirt cheap, ubiquitous, and easy to assemble HW/software for. I can only imagine that they simply don't understand the impact of interference, and the average customer had literally no clue it's trashing their home wifi.

They should be using zigbee or z-wave to make a mesh network. Or build a proprietary mesh network protocol like sonos does (sonosnet) that specifically is used to avoid wifi and bluetooth interference

0 Kudos
Nhinkle
Reel Rookie

I found this thread because the I have a roku in the room under my wife's home office and it jams the wifi connection to the wifi bridge in her office.  Unreal.

schexc
Streaming Star

Oh, it's real and ROKU has done nothing to assist. 

timc166293
Channel Surfer

Hard wired Roku.  Wifi Direct is causing interference with my AP with a stronger signal at the CPE(phone, etc.) where I normally sit.  This is crazy.  Why don't they land on a clean channel? Outside of shielding the unit, any other suggestions that might be in the works? Thanks!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Have you tried changing the channel of your AP to get away from the remote?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

I believe it's already been mentioned in other post(s), but in my experience too, the ROKU device will just follow and attach to the nwe channel.

0 Kudos
Nhinkle
Reel Rookie

The way I moved the Roku off the access point channel was by using a cheap ethernet to wifi adapter (Vonets) and making the roku think it had a wired connection - this causes the remote to broadcast on channel 36 and you can have the AP on any free channel.  I now have 3 roku and a roku TV absolutely hammering channel 36.