Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audiostreamer
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

This is a MAJOR design flaw.

My Now TV Stick is Roku based and seriously interfering with both itself (which is laughable) and with my Humax box.

I couldn't believe it. What a load of rubbish!

audiostreamer
Reel Rookie

On the NOW TV stick (aka Roku) I cannot find a way to switch wireless direct off.

So how do I do this because it's just not possible to stream to this Roku device with it switched on.

Here's another reference ...

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/Wi-Fi-Direct-causing-channel-interference-how-to-disable...

0 Kudos
ShiChiHaChi
Channel Surfer

This thread is a year old, but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate how much BasketB has tried to document his issue.  So far, he's yet to find a solution, but I shall keep wading through this serialized drama to see if he finally does.  I really feel and empathize with your frustration, BB.

As a retired computer tech, I agree with him that this entire system of broadcasting seems unnecessarily riddled with problems.  Not a huge fan of Bluetooth either, but why not use anything other than creating another wifi network that likely interferes with existing ones.  HP does this with all of their printers and it took me ages to turn those off when I finally found them.  We have more devices than ever on our wifi networks and that's not going to change anytime soon.  Adding ones that don't need to be there seems really unintuitive and just dumb.

I'm on page 2 now of all the comments, so maybe I'll get to a solution here, but I'm having similar issues with my Ultra and wish there was another easy way to connect the remote without interfering with my wifi.  We used to troubleshoot this stuff full time and get paid for it.  I don't want to have to hassle with that anymore. 

Stuff should just work.

Anyway, mostly I just wanted to say to BasketB, I feel your pain and frustration. 

I dumped my AppleTV for a Roku and find the latter to be a superior streaming device.  I would love to be able to customize (or disable!) some of the buttons on the Roku remote, but the AppleTV remote gets my vote as the most awful piece of hardware that Apple has EVER designed.  So the flawed Roku remote is still better.  Just wish they'd made more effort to have the pause play and rewind buttons easier to feel in the dark, and just get rid of the channel buttons below them.  The home button gets you right back to the screen where it's easy enough to go straight to Netflix or Hulu, and the ESPN and Sling buttons are totally useless to me.

Ever Onward...

0 Kudos
rda279

I also have been experiencing this issue on my home wifi network since starting to use a Roku+ 2 months ago. When I power down the Roku+ my home wifi no longer disconnects other devices like phones or laptops all the time. Definitely and rf interference issue that Roku should be able to address. In the meantime I have wrapped my Roku+ in several layers of aluminum for to create some sort of shielding. This has cut down tremendously on the number of disconnects my other wireless devices have throughout the day. The Roku itself has been operating fine as well after I put this band-aid in place. I'll still be waiting for a more permanent fix from Roku.

0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

I just finished a network installation for a customer, along with a few ROKU devices. While scanning the new network for interference I saw the ROKU devices broadcasting, along with a couple of printers. I was able to turn off WiFi direct connect in the printers, which prompted me to search for the ability to turn off the feature or change the connected channel in the ROKU devices, eliminating the interference. From what I've read so far, there doesn't appear to be a way to defeat this. Hopefully ROKU makes it a future option. They could have a remote that was a client on the network, but I imagine you'd be paying a lot more for the included device.

0 Kudos
ewu

Just wanted to thank you,  basketbuild, for posting in detail about this issue. Although this post is more than a year old, I came across it last night since my wifi signal was considerably slower even after I restarted my modem and Netgear Orbi router.  After reading through the entire thread, I experimented with removing the power cable to the Roku Ultra that I bought from Staples last week. Sure enough, instead of 30-50 mbps, I was back to my normal wifi speeds of 200-300 mbps! So I promptly reset the Roku and will be returning it today! Can't believe Roku continues to include this feature without a way to disable it as in previous versions. Too bad, as I was actually starting to enjoy the new Roku Ultra (previously I had a Roku 3, which doesn't have the new voice remote!)

0 Kudos
SanketMore

I would have bought 2 more Roku ultras for my house and likely bought an additional two for my apartment if this "feature" did not exist. I am too lazy to return my roku ultra, but I will be mentioning to everyone I know that "Roku devices jam your own network, It makes more sense to get an Apple TV".

I would have been much happier if my roku device did not create it's own network at all.
What a ridiculous feature.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

Please feel free to post the following information so we can look further into the issue:
-Roku model
-serial number
-device ID
-OS
(these all can be found in Settings > System > About)
-router brand and model
-are you currently using any protection or firewall

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

I will get my info too.

Thank you!