Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

You're trying to argue something with me that I'm not arguing. I know it was removed. I know it helped you in the past. You don't know it does what you think it does simply because it helped with your Roku 3. Apparently I'm going to have to prove you're wrong (or maybe you're right; we'll see). You seem to think I'm arguing with you; I'm not. If any Roku can use a different channel for the remote than for its WiFi connection, that's news to me. I sincerely think you're wrong there. My original statement was simply that it doesn't just "use the same channel as the highest strength 5GHz (my Wi-Fi router!) in the area!". That's demonstrably wrong (as I demonstrated).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
basketbuild
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
You're trying to argue something with me that I'm not arguing. I know it was removed. I know it helped you in the past. You don't know it does what you think it does simply because it helped with your Roku 3. Apparently I'm going to have to prove you're wrong (or maybe you're right; we'll see). You seem to think I'm arguing with you; I'm not. If any Roku can use a different channel for the remote than for its WiFi connection, that's news to me. I sincerely think you're wrong there. My original statement was simply that it doesn't just "use the same channel as the highest strength 5GHz (my Wi-Fi router!) in the area!". That's demonstrably wrong (as I demonstrated).

-JT

You sure are doing a lot of thinking about something you haven't tested. Then, telling me I'm wrong after I've gone through all the steps and research, then consulted with support. Now, I'm here for a resolution. It's interesting that you back off your statements now. Your comments are yet to be helpful. You seem to want to state how I'm wrong, even though you have no evidence of the contrary, and even admitted to not testing it prior to making your statements. Which isn't helpful at all.
ZethuZ
Visitor

I have had the exact same problem and none of solutions suggested by Roku worked for me. They are clearly aware that there is a fundamental flaw in this product yet not much has been done so far. I am really done with Roku , would be picking up a Fire stick next
Mook

I think the issue is that the Roku ups its signal strength above what the AP is using and it does degrade the channel being used. I agree this is an issue Roku needs to address!

Symptoms:

Roku will grab the same wifi channel as the nearest wifi access point (e.g. yours)
It will broadcast a Wifi Direct SSID DIRECT-roku-123-A2 on the same channel
It will increase its power to stay above your AP if you up the transit power

I did read on another forum where somebody set the channel on the router to something other than the normal channel, power cycled and let the Roku find that channel, then changed the router back to the normal channel. They stated that this worked unless the Roku power cycled. This might work on the Ultra since it usually stays powered on. It doesn't work on a Roku stick powered by usb.
gertnerbot
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem but unable to change any thing on the Roku anymore. Im going to have to change the channel my APs use because I cant adjust the Roku. The Roku wifi direct is causing interference when using the same channel that the wireless APs are currently using.
0 Kudos
Athavulf

This may or may not be helpful to you, but I have been recently experiencing similar issues with my Roku Express, to the point that it was even interfering with its own wireless connection to my AP. (Express has no wired Ethernet port) I too am unable to locate an "Interference" setting in the secret menus. I was able to resolve my issue by disabling "Device Connect" under Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Device connect. I know this means I can't use a WiFi remote, but I just use a standard IR remote anyway, and maybe you would prefer a working Roku device as opposed to a fancy remote. This wasn't an issue until recently, so it appears to have something to do with the latest system update. I can't tell for sure, though, because even in the secret menus there is no longer an option to downgrade the firmware.
gertnerbot
Reel Rookie

I was able to just change the control channel on all 3 of my APs. So as long as the Roku doesn't change back to those channels then I'll be good. Roku devices are causing wifi interference which is a solid FCC violation.
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I have the same problem with Roku ultra. There's simply no good workaround other than disabling RF in the secret menu if you need to use wireless with your Roku. This problem doesn't occur on Ethernet connected Roku boxes.

You can change your AP channels all you want, but the Roku will always use the same channel it's connecting to your AP on when it broadcasts its own WiFi network for the remote. It is an astoundingly terrible design flaw as it creates interference for any wireless channel it's on. An obvious bug that Roku should've fixed by now.

So my solution for this is Home x5, up, down, up, down, up. Go to Resets and turn off RF. You will need to do this every time it resets too. I can tell because the wifi devices in my house start to perform poorly.
Joeb3467

Same issue here on new 2019 Ultra... Have to unplug Roku or disable rf to fix massive wifi channel interference. Such a glaring design flaw. Love the interface but might have to return if not fixed.

0 Kudos
blwalpole

I have this problem too but the opposite.  I may have noticed some minor issues on my wifi connected computers, etc. but some Roku remotes will not work unless you are VERY close to the actual unit.  This is the case only with SOME of the Roku and Roku remote combinations.  I switched 2 of the Roku's and one works with its remote in the den and the other does not.  Both work downstairs on the patio.  Its the Ultra that has the issue upstairs.  I also have 2 Roku 3's, a Roku TV and 2 Roku Stick+'s.  TV is IR, no problem.  The sticks are behind the TV's right in front of the remote, no problem.  The Roku 3's and Ultra are in a central rack downstairs.  The Ultra works only with its remote when the remote is downstairs.  The Roku 3's work with their remotes from either upstairs or downstairs.  Additionally, I bought a new remote to use on one of the Roku 3's from upstairs and it has the same issue as the Ultra/ Ultra remote even though the other Roku 3 remote works perfectly right next to the new remote.  The new remote is paired and will work if you get very close to the Roku.   Frustrating.

0 Kudos