Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLCross
Level 8

Roku Ultra will not connect to ethernet

Jump to solution

I am trying to connect my new Roku Ultra to my router using the Ethernet connection. I keep getting error 013.60 Unable to detect Ethernet. I have checked the connection by plugging the ethernet cable into my laptop and it connects without an issue. I am using a Netgear GS116 switch into a Linksys EA6500 router and a Cisco DPC 30006 modem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MLCross
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra will not connect to ethernet

Jump to solution

Ok. I have this solved. Sort of. I have seen a number of references to controlling the port speed of my router which the model I have will not do. So, I came up with a simple solution to try with my setup. It just happens that I have an older 4 port Netgear switch that is 10/100 fast ethernet. I plugged the Roku ethernet into the 4 port switch, plugged the ethernet cable from my main switch into the 4 port switch and the Roku suddenly had no issues connecting. Apparently there is some issue the Roku has with negotiating with a gigabit router. The Roku only connects at 5 mbs but that's good enough for my use.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What happens if you bypass the switch and plug it directly into the router?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MLCross
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's exactly the same. 

0 Kudos
MLCross
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ok. I have this solved. Sort of. I have seen a number of references to controlling the port speed of my router which the model I have will not do. So, I came up with a simple solution to try with my setup. It just happens that I have an older 4 port Netgear switch that is 10/100 fast ethernet. I plugged the Roku ethernet into the 4 port switch, plugged the ethernet cable from my main switch into the 4 port switch and the Roku suddenly had no issues connecting. Apparently there is some issue the Roku has with negotiating with a gigabit router. The Roku only connects at 5 mbs but that's good enough for my use.

View solution in original post

ForeverLearning
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information. Same problem. Similar solution. Random failures of Roku Ultra ethernet connection with Linksys SE3008. Was able to get it working on a Netgear GS605. Going to insert a 10/100 hub or switch, similar to your solution.

0 Kudos
ForeverLearning
Level 7

Jump to solution

@ForeverLearning wrote:

Thanks for the information. Same problem. Similar solution. Random failures of Roku Ultra ethernet connection with Linksys SE3008. Was able to get it working on a Netgear GS605. Going to insert a 10/100 hub or switch, similar to your solution.

Update - Turns out the Linksys SE3008 must not be in the chain at any point. Attaching a Cisco or linksys 10/100 switch to the SE3008 (10/100/1000) still fails. Also tried an old 10/100 Netgear hub (not switch) to the SE3008, still fails. Directly off the Netgear GS605 (10/100/1000) also OK, as is the old Netgear hub to the Netgear GS605.

Background notes - network problems started a few weeks installation. Different ethernet cables to the SE3008 and using different switch ports on it intermittently worked for ~ 20 minutes and then nothing Roku Ultra to SE3008 worked.  When Roku plugged into the SE3008 now, sniffing network shows zero ethernet traffic with the Roku MAC address. Using any switch other than the Linksys SE3008 works fine,  with ethernet traffic immediately upon startup of Roku.  Already have the latest Roku firmware. Have not found any updates for the SE3008 switch. Wonder if others have noticed the problems of the wired connection with only certain brands or models of ethernet switches?

0 Kudos
kenblades
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am trying to connect my roku Ultra with an ethernet cable to my modem an arris tb862 exfinity. I cnnot get a signal. Do I need a special ethernet cable for 75 feet in order to get a signal?

0 Kudos
kenblades
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have an exfinity arris Modem. I am 75 feet from my modem. What type of ethernet cable do I need?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

A really long one.  :-)  Seriously though, any Cat 5 cable or better should work as the Ethernet port is only 100Mbps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos