Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim2001
Level 7

Roku Ultra using 10GB+ per day! Why?

I just got a Roku Ultra Friday early afternoon and fired it up, put a few channels on it, but have watched no more than 2 hours/day.  When I'm not watching I go to Home, and then switch from the Roku's HDMI input to the TV and power off.  The Roku Ultra does stay plugged in, though.

I checked my data usage today and for Friday it was 9.3 GB, Saturday 12.4GB and Sunday 10.7 GB.  My data usage before Roku Ultra averages less than 5 GB/day and has never been this high (I can and do check daily usage ever since getting 3 Amazon Fire TV Sticks several months ago, and even with them plugged in all the time I use < 5 GB/day).

Clearly this more than doubling of data usage is linked to the Roku.  What can I do to troubleshoot this and stop it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra using 10GB+ per day! Why?

Your Roku is using only negligible data when on the home screen (or any time it's not streaming), so no worries there. 

Your title seems a bit misleading -  if you were using "less than 5 GB/day" before the Roku, and you're using around 10GB/day since the Roku, then your Roku is only using about 5GB/day, right?

If you're streaming a couple hours of HD (or higher) material a day, then you could certainly be using that much data (or more). HD uses about 3 GB/hour, and "Ultra" HD uses about 7GB/hour (according to https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87). If you'd like to lower that amount (if you have data caps, for example), you can set some services to give you a lower quality stream. But the amounts you're seeing are in line with what you can expect for a high quality stream. 
0 Kudos
Tim2001
Level 7

Thanks for your reply.  I think to pin this down I'm going to have to know exactly how many hours/day I'm using the TV with the Roku - but I know it's certainly been less than 3 hrs/day for the 3 days I've had the Roku (the only thing that's changed on that TV is the streaming device, from an Amazon Fire TV Stick to the Roku Ultra - my watching habits have not changed). 

Before the Roku, I was using an Amazon Fire TV Stick on the TV.  And usage was under 5 GB per day overall, for four Fire TV sticks.  Now, when I am using the Roku, I'm not using any Fire TV, and vice versa - I watch only on one device at a time, they are not all on at the same time - so there is an extra 5 GB+ per day jump which is still unexplained.  It's a mighty strange coincidence that the jump occurred exactly when I began using the Roku.

And I'm going to power off (unplug) the Roku just to see if that possibly makes any difference.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Perhaps you're getting a higher quality stream through the Roku than you ever were through your Fire TV sticks? That would explain the difference. 
0 Kudos
jinj
Level 7

You give very little information.

What channels are your viewing?

Are you watching 4K channels like Netflix or Amazon Video or VUDU or Youtube or ... etc ?

If you want to use less data on Netflix, go to their site to limit it.

Watch less tv. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
mikeytg
Level 7

Do you send the Roku to "home" before you turn off the TV? If you leave it streaming and turn the TV off it may just keep going, burning up bits for no one.

Also, the Roku screen saver you choose may use bandwidth if it is one that displays a series of pictures - it might download the pictures it displays. The amazon stick had a similar problem a while back.
0 Kudos
Tim2001
Level 7

As I said in my initial post, I always go to Home on the Roku, then switch off the HDMI input, going to TV, and power the TV off.  I have chosen no screen saver, it is disabled - I did have that problem with the Amazon Fire TV and burned up a lot of bandwidth!

It's going to take several days to find out what's going on - my usage yesterday was 9.2 GB, I did not physically unplug the Roku until afternoon.  Today it stays off completely, so tomorrow I may know something or at least have a hint - I have too many devices that use the internet, but BR (Before Roku) my usage averaged 5-6 GB per day pretty consistently with few high-usage peaks.

I already watch little TV, no more than 2-3 hours/day max, no Netflix, no Hulu, no HBO, no subscription services except PlayStation Vue.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

What services are you streaming?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Do you have a 4k TV?  The Amazon Fire TV Stick does not support 4k, However the Roku Ultra does.  That would explain a lot of data use.
0 Kudos
Tim2001
Level 7

Having a 4K TV may be what's doing it with the Roku (although I did not have this problem with the Amazon Fire TV box which does support 4K, I went through FOUR of them with the TV, none of them lasted more than a month, they ALL stopped working).

With the Roku unplugged my data usage went down to 6.3 GB yesterday - with the Roku plugged in and watching just several hours/day it goes up to almost twice that.  Since my ISP (Suddenlink) has a data cap, I'm just going to have to watch what I watch!
0 Kudos