Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Ultra and Roku 3 major connection issues

"atc98092" wrote:
Nope, I have CenturyLink as my ISP, and have no issues with any of my Rokus. So it's something with the CL router that is messed up. Not saying it isn't something that CL can control, but I'd log into the router/modem and see if there's any settings that might be blocking Roku access. 

I have taken down and reworked about every aspect of the local network that I can.  As I stated in my prior post, there are not any local connectivity or filter/firewall issues.  Also, I do not think Centurylink is blocking access to the Roku servers.  As I said, I can trigger a security message from the Roku API address using a browser.  If you look carefully at what I posted, you will also see that I do not have a Centurylink router.  At the location in question I have carefully pored over the configurations, I have swapped with different routers, different router firmwares, reset the dynamic IPv4 address to a new one multiple times, etc.  As far as I can tell, the Roku servers have blacklisted the range of Centurylink IP addresses in my area.

The only things I can think of that I have not yet tried are temporarily switching out the DSL modem with a different make and model or setting up a virtual IP address with a VPN.  I may swap out the modem next, but I seriously doubt that will reveal anything new.  As for using a VPN, one is not otherwise needed at the location in question and it adds cost and complexity, so I would rather not do that if I do not have to.

I see you are in the Auburn, WA area.  What modem and router are you using and does Centurylink provide native support for IPv6 where you are?  (I am in the Albuquerque, NM area.  I tried switching to an IPv6 address, but it appears Centurylink does not natively support that where I am, so no help there).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I missed that you aren't using a CL router/modem. I have the Actiontec C1000A, but I think all of their modems are garbage. I have to keep a fan blowing on mine year round or it ends up locking up eventually. Yes, they do support IPv6 here. It's been a while since I had it disabled, so I can't say for sure if that makes any difference. My Rokus all worked fine when I had IPv6 disabled, but as I said it's been a while since I ran it that way. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Resolved!

I swapped the Netgear DM200 DSL modem with an old ZyXEL PK5000Z.  The PK5000Z was set as a DSL modem only with WAN: Transparent Bridging, DHCP: Disabled, Firewall: Medium, WIFI: Disabled.  I literally inserted the PK5000Z in place of the DM200.  No other changes were made, and suddenly Roku servers could be accessed by the Roku set top box.  To be certain this was not a fluke, I re-installed the DM200.  The Roku box was again denied access to Roku servers.

The Netgear DM200 was set in modem mode, firmware v1.0.0.58.  Aside from DSL flavor, there are almost no options that can be set on the DM200 when in modem mode.  There is no firewall available, etc.  The DM200 in question has been in service for years and as far as I know there have not ever been any problems accessing any other internet content.

PRESUMABLY DUE TO SOME OBSCURE BUG, ROKU'S SERVERS AND THE NETGEAR DM200 DSL MODEM RUNNING OVER CENTURYLINK ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.  I am extremely surprised.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Well, that's interesting. I certainly would have expected the Netgear to have better configuration options than a CL modem. My Actiontec C1000A (very similar to your ZyXEL) has a fair number of things I can change, but nothing like I've seen on a quality router from a major manufacturer. Netgear might be interested in hearing about your issue. I suggest providing them a detailed report, and how the ZyXEL worked as expected. Perhaps it's something they can address with a firmware update, assuming that hardware is still supported. [/font]
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

The Netgear DM200 is a budget DSL modem.  Configuring it for "modem" mode bridges the modem directly to the LAN port and disables the router features.  The setting is intended to be used with an external router.

This modem is officially not supported by Centurylink (although it typically will work correctly if a user has enough networking skills to set it up).  I think it was discontinued some time ago.  I expect Netgear lists it as a legacy product.
0 Kudos