Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErnestNM
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra and Roku 3 major connection issues

Jump to solution

drcristoff,

You said, "I’ve just got my fingers crossed that it magically resolves itself again like it did last time around." Well, that is what seemed to happen in my case if you read my posts about my experience on the other thread.  But, I haven't had a connection issue since as you and others have.

However, I became convinced that Roku can and does control these units from their end once you have some minimal connection just like Vizio TVs and the plethora of other 'Internet of Things' can be controlled from the internet.   Our Vizio TV often spontaneously does things while we are watching it as though someone in the room was using the remote. Vizio was secretly collecting and selling customer viewing data until sued. That is why they were able to out price every other TV manufacturer.

By now, everyone should know that most of these devices have back doors and are accessible from the internet once attached.

0 Kudos
drcristoff
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ok I’ve got one last post on this topic. This last go round with the strange network issues I finally gave in and purchased an old used official century link modem. All issues vanished completely and I’ve never had them since. It required no changes on the Roku devices themselves. So I think that definitively concludes that it was something related to “not officially supported” modem on century link’s network. I had always figured that I would see other issues if it were a modem problem. But in this particular case it only produced issues specifically for Roku devices. My advice to anyone else having these problems specifically with century link, just bite the bullet and use their official modem, if you really don’t like its features just use it as a pass through to another router.

Willedog
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku works upstairs but not downstairs.. If I bring the same TV downstairs, it will not work either??? It shows correct settings up and down, but downstairs says “no Internet connection “. But my iPad works fine up and down.

any ideas???

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Willedog 

This thread is about Roku Ultra and Roku 3. So which of those do you have?

If neither, you're off topic. Open a new thread and describe the issue there, along with your Roku model number (Settings > System > About)

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos