Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ojordahl
Level 7

Roku Ultra Wired Network Problems for Roku YouTube TV Channel/app

I have two Roku Ultra devices in my home, purchased specifically to be able to use wired networking.  Am using YouTube TV for streaming TV programming.  With either device, when configured for wired networking the Roku YouTube TV channel/app frequently goes into a buffering (spinning circle) mode and never comes out of it - I have to back out of YouTube TV and start over.  Very frustrating experience.  I have found that by disconnecting the wired network Ethernet cable and configuring the Roku boxes to use WiFi networking the buffering problem no longer occurs.  Please note that I have excellent 300Mbps Internet connectivity.  With wired networking, a "Check connection" test shows a download speed of 88Mbps (on both Roku Ultras).  With WiFi, a "Check connection" test shows a download speed of 108Mbps.  I only get the buffering problem with Roku YouTube TV channel, no other channels/apps have this buffering problem.  So there must be some sort of problem in the Roku YouTube TV channel/app that causes it to be sensitive to the type of networking that is being used.  I certainly have adequate bandwidth in the box.  While running, my home router reports an average of about 3 to 5 Mbps usage for a Roku YouTube TV stream.  Hope somebody can fix the Roku YouTube TV app to cure the buffering problem.  It would also be nice to have the YouTube TV app resume playback from the previously played location.

==================================

Update as of Nov 23, 2020

I finally gave up on Roku and purchased one each of Nvidia Shield TV Pro ($200) and Chromecast with Google TV ($50).  They both work amazingly well and not a hint of the kinds of issues I was getting with the two Roku units I was using.  I must say, the Chromecast with Google TV is an amazing device for the price and works really well right out of the box.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku Ultra Wired Network Problems for Roku YouTube TV Channel/app

Note that your Roku is just the platform on which the channel apps run. The channel apps are developed, provided, and maintained by the channels themselves to run on the Roku operating system. Have you asked Youtube about this?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
heldtp
Level 7

Interesting problem.  I have 2 Roku Ultra's in my house.   The 1 running on Wifi is not having any problems, the 1 running on Wired has had significant problems over the past week.  Anecdotal for sure, but it matches what you are seeing. 

0 Kudos
ph1111111
Level 7

I have two Rokus in my house, wireless and wired.  The wireless is not having an issue.  The wired Roku Ultra started dropping connections both from Fox News and Youtube.  I've had no issues until about a week ago, and I've had both devices for almost two years now.  Roku disconnects.  I can see the device in my router, AND I can actively ping the device, but Roku just spins and cannot connect.

When I go to connection settings it tells me there is no Network.  (I can see the ethernet lights flashing, I can see it in my router, and I can ping it but Roku reports not connectivity.).  Even unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix the results.  I have to reset my router and reset the Roku.  If I just reset the router it will not connect.  I have to disconnect Roku, reset router, reconnect Roku.  I've spend some time on the phone with Spectrum.  I have 200mps download and 11mps upload speeds.  I have three wired computers throughout the house.  ONLY the Roku has an issue.  (I've changed its port on the roughter.  No luck.)  I'm a Network Administrator, so I also checked the Ethernet cable which is good pin wise end-to-end).

Today, right before I was going to disconnect and start over with the Roku, I got a message on the screen from Roku (which I didn't write down,) which said something to the effect that something went wrong and would I like to send a report to Roku.  I clicked yes, it reconnected then about five minutes later it disconnected again.  It has been down now 15 minutes or so.  Let me check . . . yes, I can actively ping the device, but cannot control it nor can I get to any of the apps to work, nor set the connection.  Interestingly, in the Connection Settings it shows IP, Gateway, etc . . .  just no connection.

This appears to be a Roku issue.

0 Kudos
16CARDS
Level 8

@ph1111111 wrote:

I have two Rokus in my house, wireless and wired.  The wireless is not having an issue.  The wired Roku Ultra started dropping connections both from Fox News and Youtube.  I've had no issues until about a week ago, and I've had both devices for almost two years now.  Roku disconnects.  I can see the device in my router, AND I can actively ping the device, but Roku just spins and cannot connect.

When I go to connection settings it tells me there is no Network.  (I can see the ethernet lights flashing, I can see it in my router, and I can ping it but Roku reports not connectivity.).  Even unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix the results.  I have to reset my router and reset the Roku.  If I just reset the router it will not connect.  I have to disconnect Roku, reset router, reconnect Roku.  I've spend some time on the phone with Spectrum.  I have 200mps download and 11mps upload speeds.  I have three wired computers throughout the house.  ONLY the Roku has an issue.  (I've changed its port on the roughter.  No luck.)  I'm a Network Administrator, so I also checked the Ethernet cable which is good pin wise end-to-end).

Today, right before I was going to disconnect and start over with the Roku, I got a message on the screen from Roku (which I didn't write down,) which said something to the effect that something went wrong and would I like to send a report to Roku.  I clicked yes, it reconnected then about five minutes later it disconnected again.  It has been down now 15 minutes or so.  Let me check . . . yes, I can actively ping the device, but cannot control it nor can I get to any of the apps to work, nor set the connection.  Interestingly, in the Connection Settings it shows IP, Gateway, etc . . .  just no connection.

This appears to be a Roku issue.

Since the Roku won't provide much troubleshooting assistance, without other tools, it's difficult to know what the wired Roku is doing (or attempting to do) when it begins acting up. I'd switch the connections - make your wired Roku wireless, and vice-versa - and see if the problem follows the Roku or if both boxes exhibit the behavior using the wired connection. Get a packet capture with WireShark if you can; this could reveal hidden issues on your home network. If possible try to confirm that you don't have a duplex mismatch (though that's kind of rare), and don't rule-out the possibility that your patch cord could be flaky. Physical-layer problems happen more than people realize.

0 Kudos
ph1111111
Level 7

Sometimes, even an IT Director has to eat crow.  My system was hacked.  I run an Apache Server as a Pastor, and say some things that apparently aren't acceptable to many people all over the world.  I constantly have hack attempts.  There was an issue that I was recently made aware of on my WEB site.  I've been meaning to fix it, but it would take several hours.  After the issues being disconnected, talking to Spectrum (although attempting to help, their assistance is basic.  Reboot, etc . . .).  I spent several hours this morning going over my system from top to bottom.  I found the hacked, changed all my passwords, tightened the security of the whole system like I had been meaning to do.  I'm back up and running throughout all of my devices working smoothly as silk . . .

This was a false call on my previous post.  It had absolutely nothing at all to do with Roku.  Said with "mud on his face" . . .

Thanks for the attempted assistance, I shall not need that now.  Sometimes, things simply are not what they appear.  God bless, all.  If you are seeking assistance here best of luck.  Both my wired and my wireless are working smoothly as before.

Paul (<:')
Jesus First!

0 Kudos
ph1111111
Level 7

I need to take back my previous post -- "Sometimes, even an IT Director has to eat crow. My system was hacked. I run an Apache Server as a Pastor, and say some things that apparently aren't acceptable to many people all over the world." . . .

I posted a follow-up and agree with the User that posted:

Roku is only showing YOUTUBE app:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-is-only-showing-YOUTUBE-app/m-p...

Jesus First!

0 Kudos
16CARDS
Level 8

@ph1111111 wrote:

I need to take back my previous post -- "Sometimes, even an IT Director has to eat crow. My system was hacked. I run an Apache Server as a Pastor, and say some things that apparently aren't acceptable to many people all over the world." . . .

I posted a follow-up and agree with the User that posted:

Roku is only showing YOUTUBE app:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-is-only-showing-YOUTUBE-app/m-p...

Jesus First!

Hi Paul, Your earlier post stated that the issue was with the wired connection but not the WiFi. Has that changed? Also your post in the other forum mentions the Yahoo app breaking the connection, but in the same post, it says that the YouTube app breaks the connection. 

I'm a little confused...

0 Kudos