Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Ultra Media Player no longer sees wired connection to Internet

Jump to solution

We upgraded from an Amazon Fire player to the Roku Ultra Media Player back in July. It connects to our router via a typical network cable, not WiFi. It has worked fine since July but recently it seems to go in and out on establishing the connection. It might work fine one night to watch a movie, the next night it says it is not connected to the Internet. I tried changing cables, as well as the ports on the router and always restarting the Roku. Each time after I plug the power cord back in and it reboots it gives us the usual screen where we can pick a streaming service such as Amazon Prime for a few seconds and then suddenly a message flashes that there is no connection and to check our internet connection. I have also rebooted the router and cable modem but still get the same message. Nothing seems to work. There is no error code, it just says it can not establish an internet connection and to check the device. 

Last night I finally unplugged the Roku and plugged in the old Amazon Fire player to the network cable and it worked right away and we were able to watch a movie. So I know the connection is a good one but for some reason the Roku is not able to connect. 

Not sure if this is a warranty issue we can make a claim on. The thing is 5 months old. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra Media Player no longer sees wired connection to Internet

Jump to solution

Yes, it should still be under warranty. But one thing to try first is to attempt the Network Reset function in the settings menu. You might find it under the Advanced System Settings. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes, it should still be under warranty. But one thing to try first is to attempt the Network Reset function in the settings menu. You might find it under the Advanced System Settings. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks. I only read about this after I posted my issue. I will try it in the next day or so and see if it resets and connects. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Also make sure you are up to date on the Roku firmware before you restart.  I just upgraded my modem and could not get a signal to the Roku sticks until I updated Roku and restarted from the system submenu.  Now it is three times faster than with the old modem.  (Unplugging to restart would not do it)

0 Kudos