Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davon
Level 7

Roku Ultra Ethernet over HDMI

Does anyone know if the Roku ULTRA is HEC compliant (ethernet over HDMI)?  My Roku Ultra is hardwired to my router and I would like to connect it to my TV with an HEC compliant HDMI cable instead of having to setup my smart TV to connect via Wifi or running a network cable from my router to the TV.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
300Tarc300
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Ethernet over HDMI

I have the same scenario, would be great if we had some feedback. In my case I have a Roku express 4K which has no ethernet interface although I believe some people have manage to get Ethernet over USB to work.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@300Tarc300 wrote:

I have the same scenario, would be great if we had some feedback. In my case I have a Roku express 4K which has no ethernet interface although I believe some people have manage to get Ethernet over USB to work.

Yes, the 3940/3941 (4K/4K+) support USB ethernet (via a USB ethernet adapter).

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@300Tarc300 

These are the recommended/known compatible ethernet adapters for the Express 4k and other Roku devices.

https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813?_escaped_fragment_=

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

As I read your post, I think you are saying you want the connect the Ultra to the your home network via an Ethernet cable, then have the Ultra pass the network connection (along with the normal output video/audio) on to the TV via the HDMI connection.  I've never heard that any Roku has this capability, but then I've not specifically looked for it, either.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
300Tarc300
Level 7

That is called HEC, short for HDMI over Ethernet Connection. Many devices have started to support this feature.

0 Kudos
aclark2
Level 7

Please review the compatible list of devices, as most of the devices I've found and some of the devices in your recommended list EXPLICITLY state they ARE NOT compatible with ROKU devices.

0 Kudos