Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra 4670X only connects to 2.4 GHz channel 11 @ 50 to 65 Mbps

Jump to solution

This is interesting too. I ran the Wireless Diagnostic scan on my wife’s MacBook Pro that’s one room away from the iMac, and it showed the best 5GHz channels to be 149 and 144.

So perhaps there isn’t one channel that’s best for all devices that are located in various places. Probably why Apple defaults the AirPort Extreme router to automatic on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@PBG wrote:

This is interesting too. I ran the Wireless Diagnostic scan on my wife’s MacBook Pro that’s one room away from the iMac, and it showed the best 5GHz channels to be 149 and 144.

So perhaps there isn’t one channel that’s best for all devices that are located in various places. Probably why Apple defaults the AirPort Extreme router to automatic on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

Roku won't work on channel 144, so that only leaves you with 149. I've experimented with different channels on one of my access points, and it just made my Ultra worse. And it's only about 3 feet from the access point. But even the Ethernet connection isn't providing the bandwidth it should. I can't play an 80 Mbps test video without it buffering, so none of my UHD rips can be played. Those average around 80 Mbps, with peaks over 120. I'm going to have to replace it with a Shield so I can get Gigabit Ethernet. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I rebooted the iMac 1/2 hour later than my last post and the Wireless Diagnostic scan told me the best 5GHz channel on that computer now is 161. The wife’s MacBook Pro still says 149, 144.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I was surprised when I researched the Roku devices to see that they hadn’t put Gigabit Ethernet on the Ultra. I reach a real 225 Mbps between Cincinnati and New York on my Spectrum ISP plan - tested on TestMy.net which is the only realistic internet speed test tool I’ve found.

Im still seeing a 173 Mbps connect speed from the Ultra to the AirPort Extreme on channel 161. That’s faster than the 75-89 Mbps speeds I’ve seen on the Ultra using the 100 Mbps Ethernet. But when you use the Roku, I don’t really see or feel any difference between using the Ultra wired or wireless. The apps seem to open the streaming channels in about the same time, limited by the servers you connect to I’m sure. Netflix opens in about 1 second. prime Video takes about 5 seconds whether you’re wired or wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Yeah, I think there's an issue with my Roku Ultra. For whatever reason it will not come close to the speeds it should. My Internet speed is just under 90 Mbps, so on Ethernet the Ultra should be in the high 70s with no problem. It usually reports about 40-50. When I connect it to my 802.11ac access point that is only 3 feet away, I should be able to play my local UHD clips without issue. However, my WiFi speed reports even lower then the Ethernet connection, sometimes down into the 20s. Using Speedtest on my phone I can connect to the same access point and see 70 Mbps, and I'm sitting upstairs at the moment and about 40' away from it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

Is there some reasons that Roku designed the Roku to not work on the DFS channels? Can a firmware update change it so that it can connect to both DFS and non-DFS?

Given all the findings in this thread and how tricky it is to optimize a network to make all devices happy (see my comments about different devices wanting different channels for peak performance), it seems to me that setting up the router to auto-select the best channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels is the best way to manage the network. In my particular case, that means the Airport Extreme May pick a DFS channel - which the Roku Ultra can’t connect to. Seems like that’s a design deficiency in the Ultra. It may have been a cost/price decision for it to be that way, but I certainly would have paid a little more money for that full capability. 

Also, I would have paid a little more for gigabit Ethernet, and a higher speed wireless connection speed. The Ultra is fine for me today for us as we only have a 1080p TV. We’re completely happy with the Ultra. It’s performance is a big step up from the Roku 2 XS we just retired.

maybe you can feed some of this stuff to the Roku product design and business leaders.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@PBG wrote:

@RokuTannerD 

Is there some reasons that Roku designed the Roku to not work on the DFS channels? Can a firmware update change it so that it can connect to both DFS and non-DFS?

Given all the findings in this thread and how tricky it is to optimize a network to make all devices happy (see my comments about different devices wanting different channels for peak performance), it seems to me that setting up the router to auto-select the best channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels is the best way to manage the network. In my particular case, that means the Airport Extreme May pick a DFS channel - which the Roku Ultra can’t connect to. Seems like that’s a design deficiency in the Ultra. It may have been a cost/price decision for it to be that way, but I certainly would have paid a little more money for that full capability. 

Also, I would have paid a little more for gigabit Ethernet, and a higher speed wireless connection speed. The Ultra is fine for me today for us as we only have a 1080p TV. We’re completely happy with the Ultra. It’s performance is a big step up from the Roku 2 XS we just retired.

maybe you can feed some of this stuff to the Roku product design and business leaders.

I believe they exclude DFS channels because of the potential for interference with military and weather radar that uses those channels. In the US the FCC requires devices that use those channels to employ the ability to scan for active radars and to not use such channels if detected. Probably not worth the expense.

I too would be more than willing to pay a bit more for additional capabilities. Not only Gigabit Ethernet, but lossless audio bitstreaming as well. With those two items I would have no need for my Shield. 

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 Now and then I’ve seen some lower Ultra Ethernet connection speeds as shown on the TV - down as low as about 50 Mbps. I tried doing a new “Set up connection” then did a “Check connection”. The speed went up to 89 Mbps. I did a a few more connection checks and the speed showed 88 a couple of times, then went down to 63 Mbps. I did a new setup connection and it was back to 89. 

Not sure why the speed would drop to 50.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@PBG wrote:

@atc98092 Now and then I’ve seen some lower Ultra Ethernet connection speeds as shown on the TV - down as low as about 50 Mbps. I tried doing a new “Set up connection” then did a “Check connection”. The speed went up to 89 Mbps. I did a a few more connection checks and the speed showed 88 a couple of times, then went down to 63 Mbps. I did a new setup connection and it was back to 89. 

Not sure why the speed would drop to 50.

My personal opinion is there's a problem with the network drivers that Roku is using for their devices, both Ethernet and WiFi. But of course I have nothing to back that up except my personal experience with my own network and its connected devices. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Won't Connect to Apple Airport 2.4GHz

Jump to solution

I know this thread is primarily for iPhone hotspots, but I wanted to throw this out there. I just purchased a Roku Streaming stick yesterday and I have a 32" Roku TCL TV. Neither one of them will connect to my Apple Airport Express or Apple Time Capsule Wifi. However, they will both connect to my ISP modem WIFI network with no issue. Every other device we own runs off of our Apple WIFI with no issue. I am going to troubleshoot more in-depth this weekend to see if I can uncover the issue. 

0 Kudos