Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra 4670X only connects to 2.4 GHz channel 11 @ 50 to 65 Mbps

Jump to solution

@atc98092   thanks for the info. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092   I’m not sure how to change the 132 or what to change it to. I can set the AirPort Extreme up with separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel names, but I hesitate to do that for the reasons I described above. I checked my iPad right next to the router and it connects as 802.11a/n/ac at 866 Mbps. When I go out to the garage it automatically changes to 802.11b/g/n at 130 Mbps. The key being that it switched over automatically. I don’t want to sacrifice this capability just to get one Roku to work at a higher wireless throughput. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@PBG Just to test functionality, try selecting another channel for your 5GHz band network. You might try choosing a few different channels, on the lower end and higher end of the available (non-DFS) channels one at a time, and seeing if you are able to establish a connection. Each time you select a channel, try to connect and see if you are able to. This information may be helpful to continue investigating what may be occurring here. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Jump to solution

How do I identify which channels on the 5GHz are DFS and non-DFS? The available channels in the pictures I posted earlier don’t offer any clues. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@PBG wrote:

@atc98092   I’m not sure how to change the 132 or what to change it to. I can set the AirPort Extreme up with separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel names, but I hesitate to do that for the reasons I described above. I checked my iPad right next to the router and it connects as 802.11a/n/ac at 866 Mbps. When I go out to the garage it automatically changes to 802.11b/g/n at 130 Mbps. The key being that it switched over automatically. I don’t want to sacrifice this capability just to get one Roku to work at a higher wireless throughput. 

No problem. You can keep the same SSID without a problem. But you need to change the channel from 132 to 149 or higher. I have no knowledge on how to do that in an AirPort, but most likely there's a channel setting that says Auto, and that setting should allow you to select a different channel. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@PBG wrote:

How do I identify which channels on the 5GHz are DFS and non-DFS? The available channels in the pictures I posted earlier don’t offer any clues. 

https://netbeez.net/blog/dfs-channels-wifi/ There's a chart on this page that lists the DFS channels. Don't choose one of them. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 @RokuTannerD  Thank you both for responding here. Here’s something I found while investigating. My iPhone and my wife’s iPhone are SE and. 6. Our iPads are an iPad Air 2 and an iPad 5th Generation. Neither of our phones connect to the 5GHz channel. They behave just like the Roku Ultra. Here’s the info on the 4 devices:

iPhone SE & iPhone 6.  Spec 802.11a/b/g/n/ac   Both connect at 72 Mbps

iPad Air 2 & iPad 5th generation.  802.11a/ b/ g/ n/ ac; dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO   Both connect to 5GHz @ 702 to 866 Mbps as 802.11a/n/ac when 20-25 ft from router through one wall. When I take mine out to the garage - more like 40 ft through several walls and a metal door, it’s connecting at 130 Mbps as 802.11b/g/n.

According to Roku.com, the spec on the Roku Ultra is:  802.11ac MIMO dual-band. I don’t pretend to understand why the Roku Ultra with that spec would behave differently than our iPads. 

I’ll have to play around some with the AirPort Extreme setup and make it two separate wireless names to connect to. The downstairs Sagecom router had a default setup where you assigned different names to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. You can do that on the AirPort Extreme, but I’ll have to see how the iPads behave when connected to just the 5GHz. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD @atc98092 

Success. I changed the 5 GHz channel on the AirPort Extreme from automatic to 161 and that did the trick.

I tried 149, 153 and 157. The Roku connected on all of those but there was some odd behavior when I looked at the AirPort Utility scan results for speed, MAC address, IP address. On those channels in AirPort Utility, the IP address would change from the wireless IP address shown on the Roku 192.168.1.33 to the wired IP address 192.168.1.32. It did this intermittently, but at all times, the MAC address stayed the same. The readings were definitely for the Roku Wireless as the wired Roku connection goes to a different router. After switching to ch 161 I didn’t see any of this intermittent IP address changing issue last night, but this morning the IP address showing in AirPort Utility is back to the 192.168.1.32. The MAC hex address in AirPort Utility matches the MAC address that the Roku reports on the TV. See the pictures below.

With two iPads and two phones right next to the router, both iPads connect at 866 Mbps, and the phones connect at 433 Mbps. 20-30 ft and through a wall from the router the phones still connect at the 433 Mbps, and iPads still connect at the 866 Mbps. The iPad results are actually better on ch 161 than they were on automatic.

After setting 5GHz channel to 161

Roku Ultra connects to ch 161, Roku says speed is 54Mbps but Airport Utility shows the speed to be 173 Mbps, -58 dBm, 802.11a/n/ac. Signal strength Excellent

With the iPad Air 2 sitting right next to the Roku Ultra, the iPad connects at 866Mbps, -57 dBm, 802.11a/n/ac

Not sure why the Roku reports the connect speed so much lower than the AirPort Utilityreport, and not sure why the Roku connect speed on the 5GHz channel is so much lower than the iPads (866 Mbps) and iPhones (433 Mbps).

Performance of the Ultra connecting to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video via wireless looks to be about the same as when it’s connected via Ethernet at 88 Mbps - unscientifically measured counting seconds for those streaming channels to get to their home screens.A5C2FC29-F8D9-4DB9-873C-3E01245C6EDD.jpeg51CE4AAD-83FB-445D-BB3D-A967D0C31F7D.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

For whatever reason, Roku devices never report anywhere near close to the actual speed they are getting. But I did find it interesting that you had issues with yours set to channel 149. I believe both of my AC access points are on channel 149, and neither offer a very high speed. I may have to experiment with my channel selection and see if I can make it better. 

Dan
Highlighted
PBG
Level 9

Jump to solution

I’m still not sure channel 161 is better than 149 on mine. As I mentioned above, the next morning I saw the funny IP address issue on 161 too. The Roku connected on all the higher non-DFS channels. I dint check all the dBm levels for all the channels.

when I ran a wireless scan on my iMac, it told me my best channel for 5GHz is 153. So I may change it to that.

0 Kudos