Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dvan1994
Level 7

Roku Ultra 2020 Speed

I have a one week old Roku Ultra 2020 model. I have 1gbps internet. If I connect my Roku wired to modem/router I get about 85mbps download. This I expect being it has a 10/100 Lan card. If I connect it wireless I get about 70mbps download. I expected with 802.11ac dual-band, MIMO wireless capability I would see faster speeds. If I do a speed test with my other wireless devices I see speeds around 850mbps.

Is this what I can expect from a Roku Ultra?

7 Replies
MarkMSM
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Speed

Yes. 

I'm getting about the same. 

With the LAN connection, I get 40Mbps, with the WiFi I get 77Mbps. 

Way lower than I would expect. 

0 Kudos
Dvan1994
Level 7

I'm just curious why that is? Is it not using 5ghz on WiFi?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

This has been noted many times. Roku's are designed for streaming and don't need alot of speed. Normal streaming tops out around 16-20Mbit. Also, the speed test Roku probably uses limits the max rate it will allow for a similar reason.

Nem0cat
Level 7

I am getting noticeably fewer frames when streaming in sling when using the wireless vs an older roku that’s hardwired.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Level 9

I logged into my Verizon g3100 router to check my 4 roku devices connection speed to the router.

active devices 126 to 152 Mbps
sleep mode devices 141Mbs

Wireless AC devices should connect at 866Mbs if the device is a 2x2 card like all of my roku wireless AC's have. I did the testing from my livingroom TV, which is very close to the tv.

Is this a know issue?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

My Ultra 4800 is the only Roku I've ever had that seems to have reported my Ethernet speed accurately. Most have always reported far lower than my actual connection. Since my Internet speed is only 108 Mbps, I can't accurately test my WiFi speed with public speed tests. There have been a few users that have reported connecting via WiFi fast enough to play a ripped UHD movie, but I cannot. My UHD rips average 70-90 Mbps, with peaks of over 150 Mbps. Fast Ethernet cannot handle that, and even though my home network is Gigabit I cannot play them with a Roku device.

I have a number of test videos at various video bitrates, and have tested them in my 4800 from a USB drive. Using RMP as the player, I can play up to about 150 Mbps without buffering, but that's about it. So for home media, viewing UHD content, Roku players are not the best fit. Add to that they don't support lossless audio bitstreaming, and they aren't the first choice for such watching.

But as already mentioned, there's almost nothing available for streaming from the Internet that is higher than around 20 Mbps. That is most likely the driving reason for Roku not including Gigabit Ethernet on any of their players. The original and still primary purpose for Roku devices is Internet streaming, so why equip the devices with unnecessary hardware that drives up the price for no benefit?

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Level 9

All of my devices do stream correctly, right now. If I am paying for wireless AC devices I expect the devices to perform like a wireless AC devices. 

0 Kudos