Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV won't connect to my internet but connects to my hotspot

I have a 55" Hisense Roku TV.  I just moved and started having issues with it connecting to the internet.  It worked for about 1 hr the first day I move and then just disconnected.  Every single device in my household can connect to our wifi except my TV.  However, the TV can connect to my phone hotspot just fine.  The TV detects my SSID but when I go to connect it says "Unable to connect to wireless network".

I have tried a factory reset on the TV and then updated the software through my hotspot. No luck.  I have unplugged and also restarted the TV.  I have called my internet company.  Reset and unplugged router.  They blamed the TV.  I have called Hisense. No luck.  They blamed the internet.  I have even moved my TV directly next to the router for strongest signal. No luck.

I gave up on wireless and got an ethernet cable.  It says "Cannot detect Ethernet cable".  Now, this one i have not checked to make sure the wall jack is working.

I am so frustrated.  It was working and then in the middle of my show, it says disconnected and haven't been able to connect ever since.....PLEASE HELP

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ngans20

Re: Roku TV won't connect to my internet but connects to my hotspot

Exact same issue here. Roku 50" TV. First day using it. Very frustrated.

All of the below did not work, and yet the TV can connect to my phone hot spot. Using a CenturyLink C844G.

• tried resetting, re-plugging, restarting, etc.
  • tried multiple ethernet chords, and ports (all work on other devices)
  • tried wifi with 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • tried multiple SSID configurations (even throttled with no security)
  • tried Application forwarding
  • added tv to MAC Authentication Device List
0 Kudos
aliyou2

So has anyone figured out why this happens? Because mine does the exact same thing won't connect to my Cox Cable randomly in the middle of using it it stopped but I can connect to my hotspot

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @aliyou2

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos