Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adge
Binge Watcher

Roku TCL Tv won't connect with cable box BUT apps work fine

Jump to solution

We have a brand new (less than 1 month old) 32" Roku TCL tv. 2 weeks ago we started losing the cable input (FIOS cable box). BUT the apps channels all work (Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Prime, etc.) The first few times we unplugged & replugged all cables & power. After this it eventually reconnected to our FIOS service twice, but now refuses to connect. So no Fios TV coming thru for a few days now.

Confusing -it doesn't make sense since both come in via wi-fi I thought? This is making me crazy!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TCL Tv won't connect with cable box BUT apps work fine

Jump to solution

@adge wrote:

We have a brand new (less than 1 month old) 32" Roku TCL tv. 2 weeks ago we started losing the cable input (FIOS cable box). BUT the apps channels all work (Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Prime, etc.) The first few times we unplugged & replugged all cables & power. After this it eventually reconnected to our FIOS service twice, but now refuses to connect. So no Fios TV coming thru for a few days now.

Confusing -it doesn't make sense since both come in via wi-fi I thought? This is making me crazy!

The problem COULD be with the HDMI port on the tv that you have plugged the FIOS box into.  Try a different HDMI port on the tv.  If not successful, see if a new HDMI cable does the trick.

Or the problem COULD be with the FIOS box itself.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@adge wrote:

The problem COULD be with the HDMI port on the tv that you have plugged the FIOS box into.  Try a different HDMI port on the tv.  If not successful, see if a new HDMI cable does the trick.

Or the problem COULD be with the FIOS box itself.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
adge
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

John - Thanks for this. swapped the cable, still had the proble. Called Verizon & had them reset/refresh the box.

And it worked!! I'm just mad at myself now for not thinking of that. I am still unsure of if/how the TV and cable box work together from wi-fi. it's obvious now that they're independent in some way. Do you or anyone know how the apps work, as in are we accessing them from a ROKU server somewhere? On my FIOS setup, we have Youtube & Netflix as widgets and particular channel numbers, but also can watch on the PC. Maybe I'm better off not thinking about this for awhile!

0 Kudos
JNommy14

Jump to solution

I had this same problem. The cable provider refreshed the signal, and it worked. However, the next day, back to the same problem.  Refreshing the cable signal every day is not a practical solution.  

I know it's not the cable signal - it has to be a problem with the TV itself - as I have successfully plugged the cable box into another TV without any issue.  It is just this TV.  I have tried all 3 HDMI ports, none work with the cable box, but all HDMI ports work successfully with all other devices (BluRay, PS3, etc).  

Any ideas?  Is there some setting on the TV that needs to be changed?  Is this an HDCP issue?

This TV was working successfully with the cable box for the past  1 year.  This is a new issue.  Very frustrating.

Billyga48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I bought the same TCL TV in December and out of the box I'm having the same issue. A call to TCL was met with a totally clueless tech support guy who finally suggested I return the TV to BestBuy and swap it or ship the TV to TCL as a warranty issue. I've swapped cables and HDMI ports and nothing changes. Bottom line, this seems to be a software issue that TCL won't own up to. I have until Saturday to return the TV but unless I go with another brand of TV, I suspect the issue will still plague me.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with my TCL TV. Verizon box it worked fine for six months then one night stopped working but the Roku streaming channels were working fine.

RESOLVED: TCL Roku settings > TV Inputs > Hide streaming channels. My Verizon channels came back.

0 Kudos
Jeremym9

Jump to solution

I have a similar or the same issue with my time Warner/spectrum cable: turn on roku tv and select cable box, it will connect and show the stations, but after awhile, drops connection and asks if the cable box is on. Which it is. Help!

thanks !

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jeremym9

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried checking the cable connection of the cable box as well as plugging the box to another HDMI port to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we can continue to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Billyga48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R For my issue, I've tried plugging into all 3 HDMI ports. The only solution is to unplug the HDMI cable and quickly plug it back in or reboot the TV. The unit in question is a CISCO DTA 170HD mini cable box

On another note, a CISCO cable DVR and a Tivo both work fine.

0 Kudos
Hoepki

Jump to solution

Same issue for me, Tony ape work fine but when I switch back to my cable tv it breaks up.  Can't seem to turn off roku.  Only way I can get my cable channels to come in clean is to unplug room then all is fine?

0 Kudos