Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tequilacpl
Level 8

Re: Roku (TCL 49S305) offline after 9.3 update

Having same issue on 3 tvs as everyone else.  We have xfinity with a gateway modem/router anyone else? Just Looking for some possibilities. 

Robinish
Level 7

I have fiber from a small local provider, and a Netgear Nighthawk router.  No problems with AppleTV (on other TVs) or any other internet connections.  Just the Roku TVs.

0 Kudos
Tequilacpl
Level 8

I smell class action L...... if roku/tcl cant get this fixed asap

Icubs
Level 8

Not just tcl TVs with this issue. I have a Roku premiere hooked up to an lg smart tv. The tv recognizes and can connect to the wireless internet immediately with good signal strength (6 ft from extender) but the Roku plugged into that same tv can’t connect even though the Roku says the signal strength is good.  

0 Kudos
abal1221
Level 7

Another voice to the choir singing the 9.3 update woes

TCL RokuTV does not connect to WiFi.  No wireless networks discovered.  MAC Address is 00:00:00:00:00:00

For those unfamiliar with networking, the MAC address is a physical identifier unique to all network devices.  As opposed to an IP Address which is a logical address assigned by the router, the MAC address is a fixed hardware address.  00:00:00:00:00:00 is not a valid MAC address.

Curious if anyone else is getting a 00:00:00:00:00 MAC address

0 Kudos
abal1221
Level 7

TCL responded to my inquiry and provided the following several suggestions including "Power Reset the TV" which resolved my problem:

a Turn off the TV and unplug it from the outlet

b Press and hold the power button on the bottom of the TV for 15 seconds

c Plug TV back in and turn it on

After power resetting the RokuTV, I went to the Network settings and was greeted by a list of available WiFi networks.  Ran thru the initial setup process, linked to my Roku account, and waited for the RokuTV to finish updating.

System=>About still shows firmware version 9.3.0 4182-08, but the last system update is timestamped today

Thanks to TCL for your support and hopefully these steps can help others having similar problems

emb1234
Level 7

This worked for me! Thank you!

0 Kudos
mrtorrent
Level 8

Hi abal1221, thanks for the update. Your issue sounds different from what seren and I are experiencing. In our cases we are able to see networks, but not connect to our network. And I still have a valid MAC address, too.

I tried the method you got from TCL, but it didn't resolve the issue.

I did discover something, however: I turned off band steering on my router (TP-Link calls it "Smart Connect") so that I could choose what network to connect to. The TV would not connect to either of the 5 GHz networks, but it will connect reliably to the 2.4 GHz network. Interestingly, when I try to connect to the 5 GHz networks, the TV shows up in the router's client list and gets assigned an IP address. On the TV it keeps saying it is trying to connect, until it ultimately gives the failure message.

If I turn Smart Connect back on, it seems like the TV will stay connected to the 2.4 GHz network until I turn the TV off again. Then it seems like the same issue recurs.

One final tidbit is that when trying the TCL "power reset" method a few times, one of the times the TV turned on and immediately connected to one of my 5 GHz networks (on channel 157) with band steering on. Bizarrely, this only happened once and I haven't been able to reproduce it since.

This is all absolutely no thanks to Roku support, with whom I've been going back and forth over email. I send them information, and their response has been to ask for literally the same answers I sent them. I also had a phone call with them yesterday, in which the representative did not know what band steering was, insisted that I factory reset the TV, and answered "yes" when I asked whether that would downgrade the firmware to the version shipped with the TV. The answer to that last is in fact NO, I discovered, and the factory reset had no effect except to make me have to reconfigure my TV all over again.

That's a little ranting aside, but suffice it to say that the Roku support agents I've dealt with are sloppy and careless in their replies, lacking in technological knowledge, and seem to be poorly trained to deal with actual technical issues.

Tequilacpl
Level 8

Two things: 1. We were able to complete the download of updates by using a Hotspot with our phones and connect to our channels. 2. Amazon fire stick is compatible to use with a tcl roku tv. There is youtube video showing how. 

0 Kudos
Seren
Level 9

Just an update. I tried a "power reset", but no luck. My router isn't even showing the TV as a client, though the Google Wifi app is a bit finicky and laggy.

My wireless MAC address is normal and my Ethernet MAC is 00:00:00:00:00, which makes sense since the TV doesn't have a wired ethernet port.

I'm pretty convinced that this point that this is a compatibility issue with with routers that combine 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands onto the same SSID ("band steering" according to mrtorrent's comment). I'm going to try engaging with TCL support (877-300-8837) and Roku ( @RokuDanny-R from https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-won-t-connect-to-WiFi-but-all-...). Given@mrtorrent's experience, I'm not looking forward to it.

0 Kudos