Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Roku (TCL 49S305) offline after 9.3 update

My TCL 49S305 (Roku 5146X) has been working fine for over 3 years. Today it automatically updated to version 9.3.0 (build 4182-8). Since then, it won't connect to wifi even though everything else in the house is online.

I've tried restarting the TV and the router (soft and hard reboots), and doing a network reset and then factory reset of the TV. No dice. The signal strength shows as decent and the TV haven't changed location.

I'm going to try downloading the latest update from tvupdate.roku.com and reloading it onto the TV via USB, but I don't have high hopes. Has anyone else had issues with the most recent update?

39 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku (TCL 49S305) offline after 9.3 update

I have seen several posts from people this week with the same issue including myself, not seen any support other then, turn stuff off and back on again.

Highlighted
Level 8

I'm having the same issue with a TCL 32S305. I don't know when it updated, but I am also on 9.3.0 build 4182-08. It stopped connecting to WiFi yesterday (June 25). Nothing has changed in my TV or network setup. I have also tried rebooting the devices. The TV still lists my network, but it fails to connect to it, with the message "Unable to connect to wireless network" and the code "014.50."

The "About" screen and the network diagnostic screen both display my WiFi's name under "Network name," but list an IP address of 0.0.0.0. DHCP on my router appears to be working properly from multiple other devices.

Highlighted
Level 9

So, interesting development: I tried tethering the TV to my phone in hotspot mode, and it connected immediately. This makes me think that the update introduced an incompatibility with my router. I’m currently using a Google WiFi router in a mesh (2 units). These routers broadcast the same SSID on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, so I’m unable to troubleshoot if it’s related to the frequency.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Awesome, every time I write a message and click the Post button, I get "an unexpected error has occurred," and lose my whole post. No idea who to report website issues to, but there it is. Let's see if it works this time...

For my part, the TV has finally, magically, connected to the WiFi again. Nothing has changed, I just tried connecting to the Wifi again for the umpteenth time in the past two days, and this time it worked. It now has an IP address and all appears to be well.

Just broad speculation, but maybe something needed to timeout in order for the Roku to refresh the connection?

Similar to you, my access point/router is running dual band on the same SSID, but it is not a mesh network. I have a TP-Link Archer C4000.

Highlighted
Level 7

My remote has a very slow response.  Was unusable. I had to do a hard factory reset by pressing the recessed button on the side.  Still very slow but better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

After more testing I’m no closer to a solution, but have found something interesting. If I enter an incorrect WiFi password the attempt to connect fails after 16 seconds. Using the correct password takes 104 seconds however. So it seems that the roku is communicating with the router enough to have the password processed. My guess is that something in the exchange is failing and it aborts after 4 attempts.

Unfortunately I can't downgrade back to 9.2 (probably because I did a factory reset). Also for some reason every attempt to re-apply the update via USB (multiple drives and downloads) gives an error that the update file is invalid. So much broken...

Highlighted
Level 8

Well, I spoke too soon. Mine worked for a day, and then yesterday it once again wouldn't connect to my Wi-Fi.

Like you, I think that the Roku is connecting to the Wi-Fi network, but having some issue further down the line. In fact, my router lists the TV as a connected client, with an assigned IP address. In addition, Roku's "Wireless Secret Screen" (press home five times, up, down, up, down, up) appears to show that it is connected to the network:

The strength bar looks low, considering that when it was connected previously it said signal strength was "excellent," Roku's Wi-Fi list shows my network at full strength, and the TV is only about 10 feet with direct line-of-sight to the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Also, I tried all the reset options available in the wireless secret menu, with no effect. I too tried using the firmware update menu to revert to 9.2, but it was not an option - only the same version of 9.3 is listed.

Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same problem which started on the date of the 9.3 firmware update.  I cannot use the TV until another firmware update comes out to fix the problem.

0 Kudos