Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmyers1101
Channel Surfer

Roku Streaming stick connects but no internet

I could not connect my Roku express while at my dorm so I bought a Roku streaming stick. I set it up and tried to connect it to xfinitywifi. The instructions told me go on a tablet/smartphone/computer and connect to Direct-Roku and sign in from there. The prompt to do this is only on the screen for MAYBE 5 seconds before it disappears so I had to do it several times before I could get the password down. Then when I tried to connect to the Roku WiFi it didn’t take me anywhere to sign in. It claims it’s connected but whenever I launch something it says there is no internet! Please help, very frustrated and need help. 

14 REPLIES 14
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Streaming stick connects but no internet

So you’re having trouble connecting to your college Wi-Fi correct? Have you asked your college IT dept on how to solve this? This doesn’t sound like a Roku question it sounds like something you need to ask your college IT department. 

Jmyers1101
Channel Surfer

Kind of; like I mentioned it will connect to xfinity WiFi but there is no internet connection for any of the apps. When I’m supposed to sign in on xfinity (I assume) the laptop just says no internet connection. So I cannot connect to xfinity. College IT is garbage at responding so they are no help. The Roku connects but without internet so I’m stuck. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

This has nothing to do with Roku. I believe your picking up an xfinity free WiFi signal but in order to use those you need to be an xfinity paying customer. Handle this with your college IT dept. Use their WiFi. Other than that we cannot help you. Your laptop and Roku won't connect. That sounds like an issue for your college to handle. Does your college use xfinity? Again contact IT. I am sure others in your dorm use the college WiFi with no issues. 

0 Kudos
Jmyers1101
Channel Surfer

That’s the thing; I AM a paying xfinity customer. The Roku doesn’t redirect me to a page where I can sign in to my xfinity. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

That is cause in order to use an xfinity free WiFi you need to be able to log into your account. You can't do that on a Roku so there is nothing you can do about it. Your laptop and phone should be able to. Again this is an IT issue to be handled by them.  I use xfinity free WiFi hotpots all the time. I log in with my credential. But that is my iPhone. Every college now a days has great WiFi and instructions on how to connect. So handle it with them. Use your college WiFi and not the xfinity 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/about-xfinity-wifi-internet

0 Kudos
Jmyers1101
Channel Surfer

Please stop trying to direct me to my college IT department. They are no help. I connect to xfinity all the time with my other devices too! After watching videos online it says it should give me login credentials but it doesn’t direct me anywhere where I can put them in. Is there nothing I can do? 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Jmyers1101  As I keep telling you over and over your Roku cannot connect to an xfinity WiFi hotspot cause there is no way to enter your xfinity credentials into the wireless setup on your Roku. 

0 Kudos
Jmyers1101
Channel Surfer

Thank you for finally saying it straight forward. That’s what I needed to hear. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Jmyers1101 

Have you already activated your Roku device?

Many times you have to use a mobile hotspot (if available) to setup and activate the device before being able to use the Hotel/Dorm connect feature. (Alternatively, take it to a location without the additional security features of a college, like a friend's/parent's home to complete setup and activation).  

Additionally, some users have reportedly have extra problems when using an Apple/IoS laptop or phone when using the Direct-Roku login procedure and have found using a Windows computer/laptop to help resolve this issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos