Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Streaming stick + connecting when plugged via USB but NOT via wall oulet

Jump to solution

Help! I am experiencing the weirdest issue, with both of my roku streaming stick +

I had plugged via USB but wanted to try wall outlet to cut down on boot up time...When I did that, the roku turns on then shows "connecting..." then that disappears but it never connect and the white light keeps blinking in the back. Of course remote doesn't work. I tried rebooting my router, resetting the roku, trying with my other roku, same issue!

This is so weird. Any idea what could be cause the roku to successfully connect to the internet on USB but NOT on wall outlet? Literally all i did was switching the power cable. I am using the standard USB wall socket.....

Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Streaming stick + connecting when plugged via USB but NOT via wall oulet

Jump to solution

@obabelon  Thanks for reaching out.

In order for your Roku Streaming Stick+ (models 3810/3811) to connect to your network, you'll need to make sure you are connecting the device to the advanced wireless receiver that was included in the box, then connect the included USB cable to the advanced wireless receiver and plug it into the power supply that was also in the box. You must use these three things in combination in order for your device to function properly. Some TV's USB ports do not provide enough voltage to properly power your device, and it may not work correctly. We always recommend using the included wall power adapter when possible. 

You can see more tips about powering your device here: https://support.roku.com/article/219327988-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-streaming-player-will-not-pow...

You can also try using an alternate wall power adapter (power brick) if needed to see if this helps with the issue you are running into. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku Streaming stick + connecting when plugged via USB but NOT via wall oulet

Jump to solution

You say you see the issue with both sticks, but did you try two different USB power adapters?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just tried with another wall adapter..same issue. Roku powers on and all but doesn't connect to wifi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@obabelon  Thanks for reaching out.

In order for your Roku Streaming Stick+ (models 3810/3811) to connect to your network, you'll need to make sure you are connecting the device to the advanced wireless receiver that was included in the box, then connect the included USB cable to the advanced wireless receiver and plug it into the power supply that was also in the box. You must use these three things in combination in order for your device to function properly. Some TV's USB ports do not provide enough voltage to properly power your device, and it may not work correctly. We always recommend using the included wall power adapter when possible. 

You can see more tips about powering your device here: https://support.roku.com/article/219327988-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-streaming-player-will-not-pow...

You can also try using an alternate wall power adapter (power brick) if needed to see if this helps with the issue you are running into. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My issue is not about power. The device powers on perfectly well plugged on the wall..but then it doesn't connect to wifi. It only connect's to wifi when it's powered through the USB port on the TV.

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@obabelon If the Advanced Wireless Receiver (AWR) is not properly connected to your device and then to power, it would not be able to connect to a network. You'll want to make sure you are connecting the AWR to the device, then connecting the power cable to the AWR in order to power the device correctly, and allow it to connect to your network.  

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ahhhh finally figured out what the AWR is! I wasn't using it to plug to the wall my mistake. Thank you!!

0 Kudos