Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fitzwat2
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick is hacked?

My computer at my home detected a port scan originating from My Roku Streaming Stick.  Can someone please advise if this is normal behavior?  I need to know more about this device please.  Can someone install a third party application on it and access it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Roku Streaming Stick is hacked?

Depending on the specific behavior, it may be completely normal (UPnP/DLNA/SSDP/mDNS/multicast/etc)

Of course someone can install a third party app on it - that's the entire purpose of it (You=first party, Roku=second party, Company app=third party).

As far as security etc goes: all computing devices are vulnerable, especially network connected devices (including streamers, regardless of OS or implementation).

As to whether your specific device is compromised, that's unlikely, though possible.

You are probably just seeing the normal Roku network/internet related "chattiness".

0 Kudos
fitzwat2
Level 7

Re: Roku Streaming Stick is hacked?

so you are saying that running port scans is normal behavior for a roku streaming stick?  Why does a roku streaming stick need to run port scans on a network?  The device wasn't even plugged into my computer.  It was plugged into my television.

0 Kudos